PDA

View Full Version : View Source

markwales
7th January 2004, 20:20
HELP !

When visiting websites, I often like to 'view' 'source' as it helps me to gain an understanding of some Webmaster stuff that I haven't yet learnt. However my PC just will not let me view source any more.

I know it's not the sites blocking it, which can be done I know, because my site aint blocked and I can't view that either.

I can view the relevant sites at work on the PC, but not at home.

Is there a setting somewhere that I've possibly switched off ? I've tried switching off Zone Alarm to no avail.

All help greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Win2Win
7th January 2004, 20:43
Have you tried VIEW on the menu item in the top left?

markwales
7th January 2004, 20:44
Yes, I click 'view' and then 'source' but nothing happens. Very very strange.

Running XP

eastyorkshireracing
8th January 2004, 00:31
Hi Mark.....

You certainly did say those "strange words" Windows XP.....

It seems to have a mind of its own. I use XP Pro and it seems to turn things on and off at will. I have recently lost my right click "send to" links (wich is a real pain) and can't seem to get them back at all!

It sounds to me like a program association problem. Have you tried using the edit function (there should be a button on your explorer toolbar). Use the little arrow on the side and select Notepad.

I shall see if I can find the solution for you.

Other than that only Bill gates knows....

Good Luck!

Gordon

MarcusMel
8th January 2004, 00:48
I can send you a delphi 3 program (came as a sample with delphi 3) where you and type in the url and then veiw the source fetched primative but it also gets around any view source blocking and can add a save source button too!

eastyorkshireracing
8th January 2004, 00:58
Would it be possible to mail me a copy Marcus. I would like to give it a try.....

Gordon

MarcusMel
8th January 2004, 01:26
The browser wont show pictures or run script - the filesize 302Kb. Lightening button to fetch URL, Red circle to stop fetch disk icon to save. Let me know if there is a problem.

eastyorkshireracing
8th January 2004, 01:31
Will do, thanks again....

Gordon

MarcusMel
8th January 2004, 01:58
Oh one other thing it does not handle secure cookies. - Said it was primative :D

eastyorkshireracing
8th January 2004, 02:04
I have got Delphi somewhere, installing it should solve the problem.....

Gordon

MarcusMel
8th January 2004, 02:15
Hang on I see if I can test it on another PC and correct the problem.

John
10th January 2004, 02:00
I am now also having this very same problem as you Mark. Click 'View' then 'Source' and nothing happens, and the 'Edit ->' function is disabled.

Very annoying...

Win2Win
10th January 2004, 10:07
I think some sites might have embedded code to switch it off, but then don't switch it back on when you leave.

I think the option is in Tools>Internet Options>Advanced

markwales
10th January 2004, 11:11
Thanks for all your thoughts - still can't get it to work.

I've tried resetting the advanced settings back to default on Keith's advice.

It's not really a 'biggie' so to speak, but highly annoying when you see a nice bit of code and want it gratis !!...lol

eastyorkshireracing
10th January 2004, 13:03
Me again :D

I have just re-installed Ultra Edit - 32, (Forgot I had it!). It loads up source code great.....

Gordon

DangerZone
18th February 2004, 00:09
I had this problem to but got it fixed now, do you all still no how to do it on windows XP?

Win2Win
18th February 2004, 09:17
If any programs have a Javascript block on opening the source code, just open the Script Debugger this gets around it.

DangerZone
18th February 2004, 09:23
well i got told if ur on XP go to tools and then internet options then delate files, and it worked.

plater
18th February 2004, 09:23
There "seems" to be a bug in IE-6 & XP may be in other versions also, if you have a Folder called Notepad or a shortcut on desktop to notepad this sometimes causes the notepad.exe to misbehave when you try and open the View source code, also clear the temporary internet files folder as this can have an effect as well, usually when the space is near max allowed.

Edited 08.39, Just found this as well Googling,

"Also, search your registry for the DWORD noviewsource. If that exists, delete it or set it to 0.", but if you are not sure about registry tweeks leave well alone.