PDA

View Full Version : MS Office - Access

John
20th February 2004, 01:36
Hi guys,

I'm running Windows XP Pro and have Microsoft Office 2000. They are compatible together, but I need to transfer an Access database to and from uni (uni have Office 2002) and for some reason I can't seem to save it as 2000 Format at uni, so that it runs here (the option isn't available).

I've tried installing Office XP here; tried two different disks with it on. It installs fine, but when I try and run any of the Office programs I get an error message saying:

"The operating system is not presently configured to run this application."

I have all the latest Windows updates, and can't understand why it won't work as I'm running XP Pro. The error message says "configured" so maybe it's got something to do with program config settings or something. Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks. :)

Win2Win
20th February 2004, 11:38
You need to find out what version it is at UNI, and then use SAVE AS on your system to save it at the same version level. It'll then work.

You presently trying to run a version higher than the spec at UNI so it won't recognise it.

John
20th February 2004, 16:41
You need to find out what version it is at UNI, and then use SAVE AS on your system to save it at the same version level. It'll then work.

That's just it Keith, I can't save it as a different version, the option isn't available.

Kevin
20th February 2004, 16:52
That's just it Keith, I can't save it as a different version, the option isn't available.

Hi Stereo,

Just been looking at my access in Office XP. Can you use export to send your database it to a different version?

John
20th February 2004, 16:56
Hi Kevin,

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I've got the database saved here in 2000 format, is there a way of converting it to 2002 using the Export method?

Thanks

Win2Win
20th February 2004, 17:31
My thought was correct, different option in Access to the other Office programs. As Kevin points out, you use the EXPORT. You are given different save options, so use them all and see what works :)

You could also try mailing the Db from the options and try it that way.

Kevin
20th February 2004, 18:11
Hi Kevin,

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I've got the database saved here in 2000 format, is there a way of converting it to 2002 using the Export method?

Thanks

In File/Export there are various options of format to save as.

Is it your Uni Office that is 2002, my XP office is 2002.

TheOldhamWhisper
20th February 2004, 18:31
Hi Kevin,

Thanks

No - you can Export from UNI to make it 2000 compatible, but you cannot Export to a higher version.

You may also encounter problems if you try using certain things in the higher version that are not supported by the lower version.

John
20th February 2004, 18:48
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try exporting it from uni on Monday in 2000 format and see if that works.

It's just a database with entity relationships so far, so no complex functions in 2002 that could confuse 2000. :)

John
9th March 2004, 04:48
Managed to get around the problem, it finally allowed me save as a 2000 format! Goodness knows what the problem was the first time. http://www.win2winracing.com/forum/images/smilies/Erm.gif

I still get that error message when I try and install Office 2002/XP though, so irritating!