PDA

View Full Version : CD Cleaning

John
14th March 2004, 22:46
Hi all,

Not strictly PC-related here, but does anyone know how to stop a CD from skipping having already cleaned it with a dry cloth? I've seen those cleansing kits you can buy but I'm not sure how effective they are... :mover

TheOldhamWhisper
15th March 2004, 08:29
The cleaning kits are pretty good, but if there is physical damage to the disc there is no way to stop it from skipping.

When cleaning a disc, you should clean in straight lines wiping from the center to the edge. You shouldn't use a circular motion.

Win2Win
15th March 2004, 09:12
Get a copy of DVD X RESCUE it can recover most damaged disks, and make a copy for your. If you just want to 'test' it use Bearshare or Kazaa.

John
16th March 2004, 02:39
Thanks, just tried downloading DVD X Rescue though and it just takes me to the purchase page. I don't want to have to buy it if I can help it.

Laf
16th March 2004, 05:43
I use a product called Skipdoctor. You should be able to pick one up for about 30 pounds in most music stores. It's very good. I've yet to come accross a scratch that it can't repair.

GlosRFC
16th March 2004, 20:25
A good sprinkling of Vim and half an hour of elbow grease with a Brillo pad works wonders on Boyzone/Atomic Kitten/Busted CD's :D

John
16th March 2004, 20:29
A good sprinkling of Vim and half an hour of elbow grease with a Brillo pad works wonders on Boyzone/Atomic Kitten/Busted CD's :D

:laugh I can imagine it does! :laugh

I'm going to try out a couple of programs.

Win2Win
16th March 2004, 20:33
I find FRESH CREAM works on my Atomic Kitten :)

GlosRFC
16th March 2004, 20:48
I bet my Atomic Kitten is better than yours.....

http://www.pi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bianca/cat.html

Feel free to delete if this link is considered inappropriate :)

Win2Win
16th March 2004, 21:18
I think you've missed a Dr's appointment :)

Ruby
16th March 2004, 23:11
Kitchen roll and a teeny bit of spit works for me.......works on D V's as well :)

GlosRFC
17th March 2004, 08:43
Good girls spit, bad girls..... gosh

Win2Win
17th March 2004, 08:51
...dribble :doh

GlosRFC
17th March 2004, 10:49
Eeeeew....glad you didn't say gargle :yikes:

Ruby
17th March 2004, 11:36
Are you being rude Gentlemen???
Being a good girl I'm not sure WHAT you mean.....:rolleyes: :laugh

MarcusMel
17th March 2004, 11:48
The Vim idea is good since I found that lots of extra little scratches overcame the problem of a major scratch. Everyone was always advertising how scratches did not effect CD's. Thats how the skipdoctor works. Adds loads of new scratches to the CD. Yes I have a skip doctor but not used it in anger on anything as a scratchy jumper seems to work just as well. I note that personal CD players with read ahead playback don't have the same problem as 'stack'? players when it comes to scratched CDs.