PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet

Workshy
23rd April 2004, 14:13
Thinking about punting from the course, would like some info regarding being able to bet "on the move" and more speciafically, I want to be able to bet promptly via betfair (exchange).

I'm assuming my options include a laptop (how do I connect to the net?) or an xdaII.

Just looking for some info, options, costs etc etc

Also, would I have any issues punting from the course, does it differ from course to course? Newbury is the course I'll probably head to.

Thanks in advance :)

Onlyforfun
23rd April 2004, 14:20
Just got myself an xdaII but haven't tried betting from it yet, tomorrow is its first test (not on course but out of house) so will let you know.

Have been using my laptop with Mobile Connect from Vodafone when I've been away on short trips and its A1!

Win2Win
23rd April 2004, 14:33
The XDA saves you hunking a laptop around, but if you need to access data as well, you'll need a Vodafone Connect card, handy for when your telephone compnay cock up.

Workshy
23rd April 2004, 15:39
How quickly can I bet on either method?

Onlyforfun
23rd April 2004, 15:48
On the Vodafone job, with good GPRS reception and OnSpeed its not much slower and sometimes faster than broadband.

Problem with Xda is you can only get prices from Bettie, you have to call to put the bets on. Will be trying out Betdaq mobile tomorrow. Not a problem with the laptop option although you may not be too popular sitting on course with one.

Win2Win
23rd April 2004, 15:52
If your getting a Vodafone connect, careful their are two. GPRS & a 3G/GPRS, best getting the latter one as it is the latest, and can get speeds up to 384k/bs, more with ONSPEED

The XDA is BETDAQ live betting only, no other mobile PDA covers any, so it depends what you want.

Win2Win
23rd April 2004, 15:57
:)

You can use Ebay if you want a cheaper GPRS

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2F&krd=1&query=vodafone+connect&ebaytag1code=3&shortcut=2&currdisp=1&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

Onlyforfun
23rd April 2004, 15:59
They've got demos of the new 3G job in Victoria station today, will have a look if I've got time, but since my normal one was free am not going to rush out and buy a new one.

Onlyforfun
23rd April 2004, 16:01
With the proposed new funding relating to betting turnover on course they may well crack down on this anyway. In the small print on your entry it says something like "Only licenced people may lay bets on course". They could use that as a catch all to prevent you using it.

Win2Win
23rd April 2004, 16:24
I've spent many an hour in the course toilets laying :)

Workshy
23rd April 2004, 16:28
Also, would I have any issues punting from the course, does it differ from course to course? Newbury is the course I'll probably head to.

Keith, have you any thoughts on the idea of punting with a laptop from the course? :)

All comments are appreciated lads, trying to get a feel for the viability of on course punting with off course prices, and of course the advantage of seeing it live. :)