PDA

View Full Version : Double Stakes About

davefretwell
13th May 2004, 08:14
Hi All,
Has anyone heard of the above bet?
I have just received a CD with loads of information on it about bets etc and I thought I would share it with you all.

All bets accepted subject to our rules.

Stakes: Selection: Time:

Silver Lily AS 1400

Golden Lily AS 1700

£1 WIN both selections D-S-A
Stake:
£2: 00 p

The above perfectly legal wager is the one that ALL bookmakers dislike laying. It's a very punter friendly wager and always only grudgingly accepted, because fortunately for us, bookmaking in The UK is very competitive.
After GOLDEN LILY has won, the bookie is allowing an additional £2 of
winnings to revert onto SILVER LILY, which has already won almost three
hours previously. Stumble upon two winners and the bookie is generously
granting a £6 wager for a £2 stake. My advice is to change betting shops
after a pair of nice priced winners and ditto after the next pair!
DOUBLE-STAKES-ABOUT (D-S-A) wagers, will alas only cover two selections but can be used on all anti-post bets, often with months between actual races how’s that then?

With all multiple bets (Yankees, Heinz, Canadians etc) winnings travel
"only" forward. You may believe that when you eventually stumble upon four winning Favs in a Yankee, that winnings from the third and fourth selection have reverted onto selections one and two, but this is "not" SO". Many shrewd punters sit in a betting shop and do race-by-race win Yankees or Place Only (TOTE) Yankees.
This enables them to take a board price about selections 2, 3, and 4 in a win Yankee etc. Race-by-race win and Place-Only multiple wagers would be impossible to do, if winnings or stakes were to reverse.
No UK bookmaker will accept a place-only Multiple wager, yet most will
accept "place only" Single, at Tote odds. Why not sit in a betting shop
and do a "place only", Three Doubles and a Treble? Simply place three points on the first selection and reserve one-point for selection two and write
"place only" on both wagers. If selection-one is placed, place the total
return (plus the set-aside one-point), onto selection-two; Deducting
one-third of one's return, for I and 3 place double. If selection two is
placed, remove the place-double (I and 2) and place everything on to
selection-three. If selection-three is placed, the return will yield two
one-point place doubles and a one-point treble. When selection-two is
unplaced, remember to put on the l and 3 place-double.
There is no way whatsoever you can sit in a betting shop and do a race-by-race D-S-A wager. You can sit there forever, without imp roving it.
One of the main reasons that bookies rarely go bust (or ride push bikes!),
is the sad fact that most punters do not know how to lay their money out in the most effective way. Almost all wagers can be re-written more punter-friendly, with no additional outlay my page one example wager cannot
be improved upon, and if adhered to religiously, your local bookie will soon
be requesting you to take your business elsewhere!
D-S-A wagers can't be successfully "hedged" .The 'Big Three bookmakers will not accept a D-S-A from a fellow bookie. All three will accept the money from shop or credit punters, but only for nominal stakes.
Once they have taken the example wager on page-one, all any manager can do, hedging-wise, is this:
£1 win double S.L. and G.L. -if lose S.L. then £1 w G.L. £2 stake d. this
is fine if both win and it's OK if S.L. loses and G.L. wins, BUT, if S.L.
wins at say 14/1 and G.L. loses, then the shop have lost almost £ 12
attempting to win £2. Add a few noughts and you can easily see how " they can, fall into the brown 'n smelly!

If this works there could be some good profit in it for the forum members.
Dave Fretwell.

tophatter
13th May 2004, 20:46
i dont really understand it. ive never heard of D-S-A

benoo5
13th May 2004, 23:26
the means to the end,are quite exciting dave...but ive read your post four times,and still dont have a clue,what its about! dont worry,its probably me being thick,as ime usually a great desciple of your thinking.....so please try again,bearing in mind ime a bit slow off the mark....but as my ex would say...fast to finish !

best wishes....ben.

GlosRFC
13th May 2004, 23:38
Actually it's not nearly as profitable as you might think from the example above.

Firstly, you have to KNOW that Silver Lily is going to win before you place your bet AND that Golden Lily is likely to win too, just as with any normal bet you place. You certainly won't get your bet accepted, begrudgingly or not, if you attempt to place it after the first race has been run.

Secondly, the bookie isn't giving you an extra £4 free. Instead he is subtracting an additional £2 (double stake) from your winnings and placing that as your stake on the next race.

Thirdly it's not as profitable as a standard double which carries all of the winnings from your first selection, as well as your original stake, onto your second selection. If only one of your selections wins, then you will get the same return as a standard single but MINUS 2 x your stake. If both selections win then you get back the equivalent of three singles on each selection but MINUS 4 x your stake.

If either Silver Lily or Golden Lily wins at 5/1, with DSA you will get a £4 return for your £2 stake. A £2 double will return nothing. If they both win at 5/1 you'll get a return of £32 for your £2 stake. A £2 double would return £72.

The only advantage that I can see from doing double stakes about is that you will at least get a diminished return if one of your selections comes in.

davefretwell
14th May 2004, 08:07
Cheers for that m8, I did not really understand the bet myself but it sounds good, obviously this is not the case. I suppose as you say the only good thing about it is if one of the selections goes down there would be a return of some sort.