PDA

View Full Version : Nap's and Nb's

mospe
27th May 2004, 10:04
Hi, been reading to forums for a couple of weeks now but this my first post...i'm completely new to following horse racing and was just wondering what nap and nb meant in people's racing selections.
Ed.

sparkyminer
27th May 2004, 10:30
Without predujice to my far more experienced forum users, a nap is that persons most confident bet, and I'm almost sure nb means next best bet.
If you are completely new then join, read the rules, ALL of them, follow them and make lots of money.
Enjoy. :)

MarcusMel
27th May 2004, 11:40
From everything I have heard the word Nap is supposed to be short for 'Napoleon' which could lead to many etomological roots,like Napoleon gold, or the fact that he hardly ever lost a battle. At some point someone famous for making money said that in their stratagy for betting they had one key bet for the day.

People who tip in newspapers are asked to tip on every race so out of all the tips they give they also give a nap bet - the best bet of the day. If however that bet is withdrawn from the race there is a backup bet - the next best.

You may also come accross the term 'Bismark' bet - The favorite horse most likely to lose.

mospe
27th May 2004, 12:28
Thanks...sorts that one out for me nicely.....Ed

mathare
27th May 2004, 14:26
I thought Nap was indeed short for Napoleon but it came from a term (slang?) given to a coin or amount of money. Probably a sizeable sum since as everyone has said it indicates your best bet of the day, with nb being your next best.

Onlyforfun
27th May 2004, 14:42
Or when applied to Templegate in the Sun it could stand for "Not A Prayer" :laugh

benoo5
27th May 2004, 14:45
agreeing,with wots been said,i remember my dad saying..nap hand,as in..full confidence..

best wishes.....ben.

TheOldhamWhisper
31st May 2004, 02:21
Nap comes from the card game Napoleon (or Nap) where the best hand is known as the 'Nap hand'.

MarcusMel
31st May 2004, 08:21
:D