PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband Hell

John
30th May 2004, 01:43
Hi people,

I have just formatted my hard drive (bad thing to do, but it had to be done) and for some bizarre reason, when I try to reinstall NTL Broadband it is having difficulty (a) detecting my Cable Top Modem and (b) finding the drivers for it on both the NTL BroadJump Disk and the Windows 98 disk (this is my old PC).

This is really a question for those who use NTL Broadband from the BroadJump CD but if anyone has any suggestions then I'd like to hear them.

After backing up and entering my Name and PIN, the error I get (from the cd) is "Fix" at "0" or something along those lines.

I miraculously remembered the NTL Dialup Number so I have access for now, but it's not Broadband, it's 56K!

All help appreciated. :)

BelfastBoy
30th May 2004, 02:22
Have a look at this link, it highlights some problems with the CD and Win98...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/broadjump.html

hope it helps....

cheers....

n.b This could solve the problem with old conflicting drivers...

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/windows98/ntlhome100/

Win2Win
30th May 2004, 02:24
98!!! Broadband wasn't invented back then :doh, and the plug'n'play wasn't really playable, of plugable.

It may be worth unplugging the broadband, rebooting, loading the drivers, rebooting, and then inserting the cables, etc

If NTL is always so crap, why don't people change to something more reliable, their are plenty of A1 broadband ISP's out there.

John
30th May 2004, 04:44
Thank You BelfastBoy, the second link was the useful one. If only they told me you have to take out the modem and immediately put it back in... :doh great idea there NTL :clp

tophatter
30th May 2004, 13:20
ive never had much problem with NTL. That first link Belfast boy put up is extremely useful to any ntl user because it tells you how to change proxy servers so if you are struggling on say luton you can change the server to bristol and it is fine

John
30th May 2004, 14:58
Yep, Sorry if that came across to mean that I didn't think the first one was useful - it is a useful link!!

tophatter
30th May 2004, 15:10
no, not at all S.J, i just know this website from previous and it really is a lifesaver for NTL users. Log it in your favourites!

John
30th May 2004, 16:23
:)