PDA

View Full Version : Shareaza

Win2Win
6th June 2004, 16:01
If your piddled off with advertising & spam, etc on P2P networks, download Shareaza at www.shareaza.com/ Excellent to use, and open source. Should make Alex happy :)

Alex
6th June 2004, 19:58
An excellent program

Good call keith

:)

Win2Win
6th June 2004, 20:18
Ar ey, thought we could have another cat fight :) :) Meeeoooww.....!!!

Beats the hell out of the competition, and the skins are cool. I think Kazaa is a dying breed now, but the record companies believe they are winning, but the P2P users are just migrating to other software.

bigcumba
6th June 2004, 21:14
Just installed it and got the first thing I wanted - a key for Mailwasher pro - within seconds. Nice one Keith, thanks for pointing us to it! :)

Win2Win
6th June 2004, 21:30
I hope the key is just for 'testing' :)

simonkarios
6th June 2004, 22:00
Keith....downloaded this a few days ago but am getting very few search results....i am using a router...do i need to enable port forwarding as i a, slightly worried as i run two other comps off this router.

bigcumba
6th June 2004, 22:04
I hope the key is just for 'testing' :)

Of course.... :wink I'd recommend Mailwasher to anyone sick of spam - it helps deal with it before it leaves the server for your inbox..... and it 'learns' as it goes along.

Win2Win
6th June 2004, 22:10
Search results obviosuly depend on what you are looking for, and the default settings should be good enough. you'll find that time zones have an influence on results, early morning & late evening always seem to throw up more results than midday, probably as US & Asia are not asleep.

You can fiddle with your settings, if they don't work, just reset to default, but I doubt the problem is your end. Try searching for something it should find to prove it works. Madonna should throw up loads, as she always makes me throw up loads :laugh

John
6th June 2004, 23:50
Will download after confirmation of NO spyware/adware?

Win2Win
7th June 2004, 06:52
Theis isn't any in open source software, that is the point.

bigcumba
7th June 2004, 06:54
I wouldn't have installed it if there was even a whiff of any spyware crap in there - that's why I never used Kazaa - just the lite version

Win2Win
7th June 2004, 07:02
Did you know Google has taken Kazaa Lite off it listing? Try searching and it'll be more difficult to find.

bigcumba
7th June 2004, 07:36
I gathered Kazaa lite was having problems - I read somewhere that Kazaa were blocking access to anyone using the lite version.... and some sites were actually trying to sell the lite version as well.

Win2Win
7th June 2004, 08:32
Their are other programs for accessing the Kazaa network though, always a way around everything on the Net :)

mathare
7th June 2004, 10:23
Yeah, Kazaa Lite was getting worse and worse over time. This was (I think) due to the fact that it was no longer compatible with the new Kazaa network that all proper Kazaa users had moved over to.

I uninstalled it last night and got Shareaza instead

John
7th June 2004, 13:55
By "open source software" I didn't gather that this meant "spyware/adware", Keith! Thanks anyway. I downloaded WinMX the other day, it's worth a try, throws up lots of results (Search on 'Oasis' generated in excess of 1000 for example). Will get Shareaza later, sounds the biz.

bigcumba
7th June 2004, 14:43
I used Sharezaa last night to download an Abbott and Costello video clip - it downloaded a bit of the file from 29 different people at the same time to maximise the speed - took less than 2 minutes for 14Mb - very impressive!

mathare
7th June 2004, 21:14
Anyone had any problems with it hanging after a few minutes use?

It keeps locking up my PC :(

Win2Win
8th June 2004, 07:51
No problemo's here. Uninstall it, and reboot, then reinstall, and reboot. That should clear out any crap that may be their.

Also check your firewall settings aren't stopping it from working.

bigcumba
8th June 2004, 08:04
If you check the website and follow the link to their forum you'll get some useful advice on setting it up to run with your firewall.

John
8th June 2004, 14:21
It's good but keeps prevening me from surfing the net when I'm downloading. I think this must be due to it using up too much of my bandwidth.

bigcumba
8th June 2004, 14:31
It's good but keeps prevening me from surfing the net when I'm downloading. I think this must be due to it using up too much of my bandwidth.

Again, that's something mentioned in their forum, can't remember what the workaround was, but it's in there somewhere. :) Just found a couple of Jack Johnson albums in the newsgroups, will have them downloaded in the next few days - one's Brushfire Fairytales, and the other is possibly a bootleg - called Private Concert 13-02-2002, if you want copies let me know your address by PM and I'll send them to you!

John
8th June 2004, 14:38
Sent you a PM Campbell.

Win2Win
8th June 2004, 15:18
Their is a little graph with a red triangle on it, you move that to increase/reduce bandwidth SJ. If it's not their, use right-click the options when in TRANSFER.

Win2Win
8th June 2004, 15:19
..also limit the upload bandwidth to around 10kb/s

John
8th June 2004, 17:22
Cheers Keith.

Workshy
8th June 2004, 17:25
Good programme although it seems to mess with msn messanger and really seems to suck my connection speed, even when it appears I'm not downloading anywhere near my max.

Win2Win
8th June 2004, 18:32
Watch the graph, it tells you what is going where!

tophatter
13th June 2004, 23:30
Absolutley brilliant - It also downloads Bit Torrents (usually very large files) and i have managed to download a 500 meg file of Chris Morris's Radio Blue Jam Series.
That stuff is comedy gold and i have been after it for a long time. Cheers Keith :)

sportingprofit
14th June 2004, 03:26
Just got Shareaza and got rid of Kazaa Lite, great program.

Already downloaded a couple of Albums with it, very fast.

Thanks Keith.

Win2Win
14th June 2004, 08:43
Very fast!! I won't know that until I get broadband sometime in the next two weeks :)

TIPS:

In the SETTINGS, go to GNUTELLA, and make sure CONNECT TO GNUTELLA1 TODAY is ticked, and ALWAYS CONNECT TO GNUTELLA1 is ticked.

In the SETTINGS, go to EDONKEY, and make sure CONNECT TO EDONKEY TODAY is ticked, and AUTO-CONNECT EVERY SESSION is ticked.

This ensures you are connected to all 3 networks, giving you a better chance of finding something.

Click UPLOADS, and you'll see a box at the bottom titled QUEUES. EDIT each one in the box, and you will see a slide bar. Make sure it is as far to the LEFT as it will go on all of them. This limits the upload bandwidth to the minimum.

Have fun.