PDA

View Full Version : Own Web Page

vegyjones
29th June 2004, 16:17
I want to create my own web site (url I think it is called)

How do I go about doing this.
Do I have to pay anyone to have my own website... and how do I do it?

Answers on a postcard please... on second thoughts post them on this thread.
I don't want none of you weirdo's knowing my address :D

MarcusMel
29th June 2004, 16:18
Yes but if you are paying more than 20(need to double check with my suppler!) you are being robbed.

vegyjones
29th June 2004, 16:31
And how do I go about getting one?

jollyjayne
29th June 2004, 16:33
Unless your website gets very heavy use you can pay as little as 9p for 1 year (and on top of this you have to pay to register your site - about another £2.50 )

Cheaper than a pack of fags.......

vegyjones
29th June 2004, 16:34
Thanks Jolly Jane and marcus...

And how do I do it?

MarcusMel
29th June 2004, 16:37
Post your supplier name JollyJane :D

jollyjayne
29th June 2004, 16:40
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/register.shtml

John
29th June 2004, 16:43
If you are making your own website then you need to create it using a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) Editor such as Microsoft FrontPage (which you may have on your PC... comes with Microsoft Office) or Macromedia Dreamweaver (this is what I use, more flexible, trial version is downloadable). This sounds more complicated than it really is; the programs are relatively easy to use.

There are companies that will design your site but because website design varies so much in time consumption and quality, you can never be sure of the type of deal you are getting, so having someone else design your site can be a rip off if you choose the wrong person.

Once it's finished, you need to upload it to the Web. There are free hosting companies like Yahoo GeoCities (if you don't mind their advertising on your site) or you can pay for your own domain name such as www.your-name.co.uk (http://www.your-name.co.uk)

vegyjones
29th June 2004, 16:53
Right that's the ticket.

I want to design the site myself... I'm sure I'll be able to do all that.
How do I design it and finish it before uploading it to the web?

I have a free space at virgin.net, but that doesn't seem to be any good, even I can't get into it???

jollyjayne
29th June 2004, 17:14
I found Geocities from yahoo to be easy.
Register on the American version
http://geocities.yahoo.com/home/
( The UK version is not as good )
Once registered - open up "Pagebuilder" and you will find it fun.
It may not have as much choice of formats as some programs or if you are writing your own page using HTML or whatever it is called nowadays but it is a helluva lot easier.....
And to me that matters a lot.

Win2Win
29th June 2004, 17:39
Probaly best following JJ's advice to begin with.

If your serious though, you need to find a host that throws in a good deal and a free web name, such as www.supanames.com I host my Filipino site with them, and have few problems (you will always get down time with whoever). £14 gets yo good web space, customer support, POP accounts, MySQl access, it's all here
http://www.supanames.com/index.php?page=vhost

markwales
29th June 2004, 17:50
Geocities is very good for the beginner.....Sign up for a free site, design it in pagebuilder....

Then if you want your own domain name... I use www.freeparking.co.uk , it's £9.99 for a .co.uk for 2 years, you can then direct the domain to your free site.

Loads of different ways of doing this.....but I found Geocities about the best to begin with.

manckevin
30th June 2004, 13:36
vegy - personally I use MS Publisher 98 for any websites I do (and have done since I first got it in 1999). Easy to use, fairly basic but does what it says on the box. I tried the 2000 version and didn't like the way it managed saving the files as .html files. That said, it may be a little too on the basic side for some, but unless you want fancy flash pages etc. all over the place then it's well worth a look (I'm sure some of the P2P networks will have someone sharing it) :D

As for hosting, I use an American company called Total Choice Hosting. The support is second to none, and the uptime is also extremely good as is the pricing. For $5 (about £3) I get masses of storage space and bandwidth which is more than adequate for my needs, plus unlimited mailboxes, message board facilities etc. all easily managed through a fairly simple (and standard) control panel.

Win2Win
30th June 2004, 16:23
I use US hosts, they offer much more than Europe and are more reliable as they have stricter controls over there.

vegyjones
30th June 2004, 16:59
My sites gonna be called

2win2win

and it's going to offer free tips,
after 10pm at night and 12-30pm in the afternoon!

Only joking Keith... only joking... :D

bigcumba
30th June 2004, 17:11
You nutter... :laugh Keep them coming Vegy :)

Win2Win
30th June 2004, 17:16
How about 2wit2wit!! :)

vegyjones
30th June 2004, 17:17
2woo2woo,

sparkyminer
30th June 2004, 17:17
How about 2wit2wit!! :)
owl that work then? :wink

vegyjones
30th June 2004, 17:25