PDA

View Full Version : Web Redirection Racing Post Site knowledge

MarcusMel
22nd July 2004, 18:43
I can't acess the RP site directly anymore. I think this maybe due to redirection. Does anybody know the URL to directly acess their web pages?

Workshy
22nd July 2004, 18:44
I'm not sure I get ya but heres a link; http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/home.sd

MarcusMel
22nd July 2004, 19:07
If I use a delphi 3 component (A bunch of routines that do all the work for you:) )
I can ask it to fetch a URL. but I get nothing. Note it worked before the RP update.
So the true URL location is actually something else. How about the RP's IP address?

If you don't understand what I am asking for the question is not for you.:D

TheOldhamWhisper
22nd July 2004, 19:25
Looks like they've scripted it - goes though 4 or 5 scripts to get to the page. My database updater stopped working when they upgraded the site and it's a pain trying to work out the new paths.

MarcusMel
22nd July 2004, 20:12
212.103.242.226/news/home.sd did not work either :(

Have to see what the cookies are doing which in Delphi 3 is not easy.

TheOldhamWhisper
22nd July 2004, 20:16
you know anyone with a 28k modem? ask them to get you all the redirects from the bottom left of explorer as it takes the route.

bigcumba
22nd July 2004, 20:17
I know the people I get my data updates from had similar problems when the RP site was changed - took them over a week to get around whatever they had changed.

MarcusMel
22nd July 2004, 20:23
Oldham - Have you got any of the new paths at all?

MarcusMel
22nd July 2004, 20:25
I used windowsXP in command -cmd window and ran a tracert on the web site name.

bigcumba
22nd July 2004, 20:25
Sorry Marcus, they didn't actually tell us that was the problem, it was just an obvious coincidence that the same day the RP changed they were unable to do the updates.

MarcusMel
22nd July 2004, 20:31
There are a large number of changes BigC. For example where they once used 1 and 0 in the query they now use yes and no. The query used to distinguish irish and british courses - that has been dispenced with. So I'm guessing that the three letter identifier for some of the courses has changed to. So on and so forth.

TheOldhamWhisper
22nd July 2004, 20:41
My Delphi isn't very good, but this might help you in the right direction:

http://delphi.about.com/library/weekly/aa060303b.htm

MarcusMel
22nd July 2004, 20:59
Interesting and thanks for looking. Have found this site - different article before. For Delphi 3 I have to program up a few automatic operations that I.E does which the Delphi 5 component and probably Kylix now take care of. Cash is short for now so can't upgrade yet.