PDA

View Full Version : Sending form contents to e-mail address

John
29th July 2004, 16:51
Hi again,

I have built a form in Dreamweaver and need to post the contents of the form to an e-mail address when the user presses 'Submit'. I have put the e-mail address in the 'Action' bit and have set the Method to POST, but it isn't working and I don't know why. I'm using Dreamweaver MX, worked fine with Dreamweaver 3.

Can anybody help? :)

TheOldhamWhisper
29th July 2004, 17:32
Hi again,

I have built a form in Dreamweaver and need to post the contents of the form to an e-mail address when the user presses 'Submit'. I have put the e-mail address in the 'Action' bit and have set the Method to POST, but it isn't working and I don't know why. I'm using Dreamweaver MX, worked fine with Dreamweaver 3.

Can anybody help? :)
The software is not causing the problem.

Usually you have to use something like CDONTS or other mail serving scripts to do what you want to do and simply putting the email address in the action will not normally work on any site server that I know of.

The server needs to be enabled to use these emailing scripts and many sites have disabled them rather than run the risk of being accused of 'spamming'

John
29th July 2004, 17:40
Cheers Oldham,

CDONTS is something I've never heard of before and don't know how to implement. Is there anything else that I can do, or is it simply a case of not being able to have the form altogether?

TheOldhamWhisper
29th July 2004, 18:05
I'll see if I can find some sample code for you.

manckevin
30th July 2004, 05:01
If that doesn't work, something like http://www.response-o-matic.com/ may be of benefit.

John
30th July 2004, 12:10
Thanks Kevin, will take a look shortly. Just trying to make it work on the webspace at the moment with the help of Oldham. :)