PDA

View Full Version : No sound...help!!!

simonkarios
22nd August 2004, 15:42
Hi all,

Just brought myself a new comp....everything working ok apart from sound!!

In hardware it is saying the multimedia audio control is not working ie its is highlighted yellow...I have tried installing driver with the wizard but no luck ;fire

Anyhelp greatly appreciated :D

Alex
22nd August 2004, 16:49
What make and model of sound card do you have, or is it onboard sound?

If it is onboard, what make and model is your motherboard?

Alex.

simonkarios
22nd August 2004, 17:04
Hi Alex..

Motherboard is.....

ASRock K8S8X Motherboard

Cheers,

Simon

Alex
22nd August 2004, 18:04
I am assuming you are running a windows based upon the nt kernel (winxp, 2000,nt etc)

first i would ask you to go into your bios, and check that onboard sound is enabled (it should be in integrated peripherals.

I know its a simple answer, but lets keep things simple to start off.

Alex.

simonkarios
22nd August 2004, 18:07
Cheers Alex...it may sound simple but i don't even know how to do that..... :(

Alex
22nd August 2004, 18:14
ok, restart your computer and the first thing you should see will be either a giving you information about your motherboard etc.. press del, or f1 (depending on bios) and you should get into your bios. try that and tell me what happens.

Alex

Workshy
22nd August 2004, 18:16
Shouldnt we address other issues first off?

Is mute on?
Are the speakers on and plugged in?
Are they connected correctly to the pc?
From what source(s) are you trying to play sounds?
Test headphones in the output jack to see if you get sound there.

simonkarios
22nd August 2004, 18:23
Hi workshy...all connected saying no audio device....surely the new comp will have a sound card.... :(

Alex
22nd August 2004, 18:24
Workshy, i am really hoping that simon knows at least that, and wasnt going to treat him like a dumbass, such as Keith. :) But fair play, lets address the most basic questions if we have to.

Alex.

Workshy
22nd August 2004, 18:33
I'm asking from experience Alex, I've had times with both my pc's to date with no sound, never once have I had to go into the BIOS.

If there is no sound from the headphones then start looking at driver issues imo :)

Workshy
22nd August 2004, 18:38
http://www.asrock.com/support/Download/dl_k8s8x.htm

http://www.asrock.com/support/bios/K8S8X170.zip

Driver & BIOS downloads, if it comes to this.

Alex
22nd August 2004, 18:38
Well, ok i agree, maybe i have over estimated the basics. Providing i am not banned by tophatter, this should be an easy problem to fix.

Alex.

simonkarios
22nd August 2004, 18:45
can't even get into bios ::swear ::swear ;fire
am i thick or what :D

Alex
22nd August 2004, 18:46
simon, please message me on aol instant messenger: handle: :censored:

Lets fix this.

Alex.

Win2Win
22nd August 2004, 21:02
http://www.asrock.com/Drivers/SiS_Chipset/Audio/C-Media(2042).zip

You shouldn't need to play with the BIOS is should work on defualt. The above link directly downloads the latest sound driver for your board.

Unless you are experienced you should not even attempt to go into the BIOS you can change things that physically damage the system.

It seems Alex has posted his usual useless computer help, ignore his advice if you want a working system. :)

TheOldhamWhisper
22nd August 2004, 21:10
You DO NOT NEED to go into the BIOS if the device shows up in the device manager.

Did you get any disks with the PC? Look for one that says Motherboard drivers or something like that. It will have the drivers on there - otherwise download them from the links posted above.

Look at any 'readme' files in the driver folders in case there is information on how the drivers should be installed. It also may be a good idea to 'Uninstall' the 'yellowed out' device and rebooting the machine - this will let the machine find the hardware again.

simonkarios
22nd August 2004, 23:01
All sorted thanks...got the drivers off the motherboard CD :D

zomby
22nd August 2004, 23:10
Always nice to see a happy ending. Enjoy your new system Simon.

bigcumba
23rd August 2004, 09:11
All sorted thanks...got the drivers off the motherboard CD :D

And not an unnecessary bios tweak in sight.... :D

Workshy
23rd August 2004, 11:26
I'm asking from experience Alex, I've had times with both my pc's to date with no sound, never once have I had to go into the BIOS.

If there is no sound from the headphones then start looking at driver issues imo :)

Wheres arrogant Alex? :rolleyes:

tophatter
23rd August 2004, 12:19
Wheres arrogant Alex? :rolleyes:

Probably trying to work out how to program the timer on his Betamax video (much better than that overated VHS you know.) :D

(Sorry Alex :) , see i have got a sense of humour - and not an asterix in site :wink )

MarcusMel
23rd August 2004, 12:31
Look - I know we don't like him (well I certainly don't) however he does TRY:flash to help (even if it does always seem to demand you go off site :doh:confused: )Now you have had your fun, Let it be or we will be spend ages filling Alex's post with asterix's.

Personally I don't know why Alex just does not write the whole analysis of what might be wrong and leave it at that.

vegyjones
23rd August 2004, 12:37
You can't hear!

SDo you can't hear me call you a :censored: dip ::swear with brains up your ::swear .

What do you mean it's fixed!

:yikes:

Only Joking Simon :laugh

simonkarios
23rd August 2004, 16:50
:laugh :laugh :laugh

Having said that Alex really did take time out to help me :wink

vegyjones
23rd August 2004, 16:53
Here here Alex!

Actually don't come here, but you get the jist! :D