PDA

View Full Version : XP Service Pack 2

Win2Win
24th August 2004, 09:46
This is now ready for download. It's around 300MB so make sure you have the time online to get it, although they do say it uses smart download technology to do it in the background whenever your online. If you have broadband it won't take long less than 5 mins on mine :)

Should you install it? YES. It has many additional security features & fixes, as well as extras for working with XP.

Does it cause problems? Only the firewall may cause problems with some software, but not many. It can be turned off, but is for ever reminding you to switch it back on again. Other software providers will release fixes.

Win2Win
24th August 2004, 12:54
You can get it here,

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-177.shtml

jollyjayne
24th August 2004, 15:42
If you have broadband it won't take long less than 5 mins on mine :)

Your broadband must be very quick,
I have just downloaded it in just over 2 hours - but then it was 266 MB !
Thanks Keith.

Win2Win
24th August 2004, 15:54
2mb :)

bigcumba
24th August 2004, 18:53
I've installed it and it seems to have addressed some of the security concerns rather well - stops Outlook Express from displaying dodgy pictures in e-mail - I'm impressed so far!

manckevin
24th August 2004, 19:15
Cheers for the heads up, case of run it to install when downloaded I take it?

bigcumba
24th August 2004, 19:21
If you're downloading via windows update it'll start the installation itself when ready - easy as pie... or is that pi? :) Takes a wee while to install though - runs checks on system space - you need around 1.8 Gb free to install.... then it backs up and replaces all the necessary files, then it'll reboot and finish setting up - I think it took around an hour for me last night

manckevin
24th August 2004, 19:28
Got it from the (unapproved!) softpedia link above :)

Think I'll do a backup before doing full install :D It is from Microshaft after all!

tophatter
25th August 2004, 18:33
I have automatic updates switched on on my PC but the little balloon has never popped up saying ready to install. When i got to mirosofts website it says i can only download it through the automatic update - is there any reason why my automatic update has not done this yet?

jollyjayne
25th August 2004, 18:48
TH,
It will probably be done in stages as it would be unwise for Microsoft to download such large upgrades to many millions of users at once - otherwise it would cause overload problems I fear. Just the same as the post office sending 25 million booklets out on how to deal with emergencies, they spread it out over a few weeks..

tophatter
25th August 2004, 18:55
Cheers JJ, that makes sense. I dont know much about computers so i get on edge sometimes and think there is something wrong with my machine.

Win2Win
25th August 2004, 19:13
I put mine on auto update to see if it caught it and nothing over the last 3 days!!! If I go to the update site SP2 is not there, I had to follow a few links to another part of the site to get it for my other system. Not very well organised if you ask me.

bigcumba
25th August 2004, 19:15
That's weird, mine has probably half downloaded before I even noticed it!

sparkyminer
26th August 2004, 00:34
That's weird, mine has probably half downloaded before I even noticed it!
Mine too BC, I'm sick to death of telling it to 'Do it later.' :)

manckevin
26th August 2004, 10:46
MS delayed the launch of SP2 via AU (Automatic Update) but I got the balloon this morning on my other PC, so I assume it's all off and running now :)

Win2Win
26th August 2004, 11:15
I got one as well on my main system, so decided to let it play ball. They must be allocating IP regions on a daily basis to stop their server from overloading.

sparkyminer
26th August 2004, 21:58
I've had to disable the pop up blocker as it stops me accessing the members login.

Win2Win
26th August 2004, 22:01
I don't notice much difference, but as long as everything I need is working, which it is, no problem. I'll probably dig up a few extra's later on.

bigcumba
26th August 2004, 22:02
You can disable or enable it on a site by site basis... :)

GlosRFC
8th September 2004, 12:16
For those with slower internet access, you can order a free CD containing the SP2 update. Go to microsoft.com/uk/windows/sp2/default.mspx and complete the form or trot to your local PC World and pick one up from there.

Workshy
8th September 2004, 12:29
Cheeky little pc has been doing mine this morning, nearly done without me even knowing. No wonder shareaza was going slow :(

GlosRFC
8th September 2004, 12:46
Yeah, Automatic Updates is designed to use "slack" periods when you're online to download but it will have a knock-on effect on other connections despite what MS tells you. You do have the facility to change how Automatic Updates works though:

1. Automatic (your existing setting) which finds and downloads updates for you
2. Download Automatically But Don't Install - this finds updates and downloads them but then prompts you as to which ones you want to install
3. Notify - this finds and tells you that updates are available but it's left to you to download and install
4. Turned Off - doesn't even look for updates.

If the default setting (1) slows things up, try selecting option 3.

Workshy
8th September 2004, 12:48
Thanks mate, funny how you've just replied as I have the box thing to do this in front of me. Sorted now, option 3 selected. Atleast the beast is now fully up to date.

GlosRFC
8th September 2004, 12:52
Not quite fully up to date - Automatic Updates will only find security updates, e.g. critical updates and service packs, etc. If you need to update device drivers, third-party tools/utilities, etc you'll still need to periodically check the Windows Update site from time to time.

GlosRFC
21st September 2004, 00:02
Got my SP2 CD in the post this morning so, even though I've already downloaded the updates, it'll come in handy should I ever have to do a complete reinstallation of XP in the future.

tophatter
21st September 2004, 00:05
ive still not had the automatic update done to my pc

GlosRFC
21st September 2004, 00:12
No reason why you can't go ahead and order the CD anyway - although I'm surprised that your PC hasn't tried to update yet. Having said that, the Automatic Update facility is provided as part of the SP2 update so it figures that, if you haven't updated, then you won't be automatically updated!!!

You can force an update by going to windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Argh! Just read that second line again and thoroughly confused myself - what I meant is that the newer Automatic Update is provided, etc., etc.

tophatter
21st September 2004, 00:33
i have it downloading now but is only 77MB is this correct?

tophatter
21st September 2004, 01:18
well ive installed it now. It seems ok

Win2Win
21st September 2004, 08:38
If you already had SP1 installed, SP2 is smaller. It has many more goodies on it for the home network user, but it'll take some time to get my head around that lot :)

tophatter
21st September 2004, 13:18
That will explain it then keith :)

One thing i dont particulary like since the update is everytime i click on a website it makes a clicking noise. is there any way of disabling that?

Win2Win
21st September 2004, 14:44
Yes, unplug the speakers :laugh

GlosRFC
22nd September 2004, 23:45
Because SP2 has installed new notifications, e.g. when pop-up windows are detected or the information bar is displayed, XP seems to have reset some of the standard notification sounds too. You can turn these off by going into Control Panel, Sounds Speech and Audio Devices, Change the Sound Scheme.

I'm not sure which notification is the one that makes that irritating clicking sound but you can either highlight all entries with a speaker against them and press the play button at the bottom of the screen. If you hear the click, then that's your culprit - alongside the play button, use the scroll list to select [None] and the infernal noise will go away. Alternatively you can select No Sounds in the scheme's scroll list at the top of the window and you won't hear any of the XP noises.

tophatter
22nd September 2004, 23:51
cheers, i will take a look at that because on sites that auto refresh like betfair it is particulary irritating to hear this constant clicking

GlosRFC
23rd September 2004, 00:03
One other quick hint - once you've turned off the click, save the scheme with a new name. That way, if it ever comes back, you can just reload your saved scheme without having to ferret around turning it off again.

John
1st October 2004, 20:29
I haven't got SP2 yet but I've heard a lot of bad things about it in reviews etc. For example it doesn't let you update things such as drivers. Is this all talk or is there some truth in it?

tophatter
1st October 2004, 20:39
its been ok for me SJ but then i hardly use my computer other than coming on here, betfair and the odd football website! I dont even have a printer or scanner so i dont really have any drive issues

bigcumba
1st October 2004, 21:40
I haven't got SP2 yet but I've heard a lot of bad things about it in reviews etc. For example it doesn't let you update things such as drivers. Is this all talk or is there some truth in it?

Not sure about that as I updated the video card and modem drivers on my laptop after installing SP2.

John
1st October 2004, 22:12
All I can find on the subject at the moment is here:

http://www.vnunet.com/news/1157744

I'll keep looking to see if I can find a better source.

GlosRFC
3rd October 2004, 18:01
Nothing to lose any sleep about, John - after all, more than one in 10 pcs were probably having compatibility issues with XP before the service pack was introduced. My view is that this is simple scare-mongering by "IT Consultants" in order to make a name for themselves and, if your PC worked fine before, there's no reason why SP2 should suddenly make it incompatible. The only common issue with SP2 is that it prevents some virus checkers from working until they can issue patches. On the plus side, it closes a lot of the loopholes that virus-checkers are designed to combat, e.g. better firewall, disabling active X, and making OE more secure. As someone who's never installed any AV software in the past 20 years (and never caught even a sniff of a virus) that's more than enough for me.

bigcumba
3rd October 2004, 18:14
Just for starters the built in pop up stopper is worth it - and it stops OE from displaying pictures in junk e-mail, though I use Mailwasher to prevent them from getting near my PC anyway. So far I've had no obvious problems at all, even my CD writing software which is supposed to have problems with any flavour of XP, still works fine.

Win2Win
3rd October 2004, 18:15
All the AV companies already have fixes that should come with their auto update.

The networking is well better, love the added wireless encryption.