PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking

mathare
28th August 2004, 23:24
What bits of kit do I need to buy to create a wireless network at home?

I have two PCs that I want to be able to share a broadband internet connection. One of the PCs will be upstairs (where the cable modem is) the other will be downstairs, hence the reason for going wireless.

Can anyone suggest any good hardware to buy please?

zomby
28th August 2004, 23:31
uhmm...

1x Wireless Router - (54g most likely) - Linksys, Netgear, US Robotics, SMC, Belkin -- Listed in my order of preference

If they're two desktop computers and you want them both wireless:

2x PCI Wireless cards - It's a good idea to get the same make of wireless cards as the router so that installation is easier. You'll need a free PCI slot in each computer

If it's two laptops:

2x PCMCIA wireless cards (again better to get the same make for easier installation).

If it's one desktop and one laptop

If one of the computers will be sitting right beside the cable modem (and you don't plan on moving it), you could always get a wired connection for that computer and just go wireless with the other:

1x PCI wired card
1x PCMCIA wireless card

Btw, be careful how far you are going to have the computer away from the wireless router and how thick the walls/ceilings are...They still don't have amazing ranges.
-----

mathare
28th August 2004, 23:43
It's two desktops, yeah.

Is that all I need, a router and two network cards? I don't need a Wireless Access Point? Or is that built into the router?

zomby
29th August 2004, 00:00
The router + 2 wireless cards is all you need. You might be able to buy a "wireless kit" that has them bundled together so that you get what you need a little cheaper.

Maybe want to check for any more posts by the morning. I'm sure there will be opinions on the best/worst ones to get.

All the ones I mentioned in my post, I have used myself(got a stack of routers here). I'm using a Netgear just now which I haven't had any probs with... I'd steer clear of US Robotics and Belkins as they seem to have some dodgy firmware at the mo.

Win2Win
29th August 2004, 09:08
Take a peak here for some advice http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=38&Alt=Yes&Wireless%20Routers=

I use a Binatone 4 port broadband modem, and plug a Netgear accesss point into that, and a cheaper netgear adaptor.

You can get kits at Dads, Amazon, Ebuyer & Aria.

mathare
29th August 2004, 10:44
Cheers Keith.

I'm on Blueyonder and was looking at buying Linksys Wireless-G 54mbps Broadband Router (£47.75) and Linksys Wireless 54mbps PCI Adapter Card (£33.48) both from Ebuyer. One of the PCs will be right next to the router so I will wire that one in.

Should do me shouldn't it?