PDA

View Full Version : XP Professional - Resetting Themes

John
20th October 2004, 22:37
Hi guys,

I downloaded Logon Loader yesterday to play around with a few log on screens, but since using it, the standard Windows XP 'blue', 'silver' and 'olive' themes have gone from the menu in Display Properties>Themes, and so have the themes listed in there.

So at the moment my PC looks pretty similar to versions of Windows before XP came out.

Any help on how to get my pc back to the standard XP theme would be greatly appreciated.

John
20th October 2004, 22:37
I have since completely removed Logon Loader by the way.

bigcumba
20th October 2004, 22:40
Might be worth doing a system restore to a point before you installed the program.

Win2Win
21st October 2004, 08:42
Why not just click PROPERTIES on the Desktop and change the Theme?

John
21st October 2004, 13:27
As I said above Keith, the themes aren't there.

Campbell, no joy with system restore. :(

Win2Win
21st October 2004, 15:12
That'll teach you for piddling about then :laugh

Download XPPLUS! from where I can not say, but you have an idea. This puts on more Themes, and may override any previous settings :)

John
21st October 2004, 19:26
Cheers Keith

GlosRFC
21st October 2004, 23:57
This is novel as, ordinarily, the standard XP themes can't be deleted but it looks like your Logon Loader has done just that. A couple of things you can try BEFORE you download XPPLUS! (which I think you have to pay for) :-

1. The colour options you mention aren't found under Desktop, Themes....they're found under Desktop, Appearances. Check that you're trying to change them in the right place first. Under Desktop, Themes you should still have the Windows XP option to select but, if not, then it's on stage 2.

2. Next I'd check your C:\Windows\Resources directory to see if it's still there (the XP theme is called, for some strange reason, Luna.theme). I rather suspect from what you say that it might not be. If it's there, then double-click Luna.theme and it should load again. You should also have a Luna subdirectory containing Luna.msstyles with three further subdirectories - these are the ones that contain the seperate colour info you refer to (blue, silver, olive)

3. Have a look in your recycle bin to see if Logon Loader has put it in there. If so, you should be able to reinstall it.

4. Do a search on your PC for files with the extension .theme to see if Logon Loader has moved it elsewhere. If so, copy it to your C:\Windows\Resources directory and your desktop should pick it up again.

5. If there's no sign of the Luna.theme or the Luna.msstyles file on your PC then slap your Windows XP CD into the drive, go to Start, Run and type MSCONFIG then hit OK. Click the Expand button and, when requested, enter Luna.msstyles in the "File to Restore" box, D:\i386\Luna.MS_ in the "Restore from" box and then browse to C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna for the "Save file in" box. Hit OK.

Repeat again but this time with Luna.themes in the "File to restore" box, D:\i386\Luna.TH_ in the "Restore from" box and C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes for the "Save file in" box. Hit OK.

That should restore the appropriate files.....
C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\Luna.theme
C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\Luna\Luna.msstyles
C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\Luna\Shell\Homestead\shellstyle.dll
C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\Luna\Shell\Metallic\shellstyle.dll
C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\Luna\Shell\NormalColor\shellstyle.dll

6. If none of the above work (and there's no reason why 5 shouldn't) then go to the following link (assuming it's okay with Keith), download the file and then unzip it to the default directories http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/Resources.zip
This will recreate the Homestead, Metallic and NormalColour directories for the XP default colour schemes.

Hopefully some of that will work for you. Oh, and as Keith put it - don't piddle around again!!

John
22nd October 2004, 03:00
Glos, hello, and thanks a lot for your help. I had already played around with your numbered options 1-4 excluding 3, as I empty the recycle bin at every given opportunity.

Option 5 however, did the job, and my PC is back to normal (with the themes back in the right places, etc).

Thanks very much for your help. :)

GlosRFC
22nd October 2004, 15:50
We aim to please