PDA

View Full Version : virus problem

presto
12th November 2004, 15:23
got an annoying little problem with a trojan horse virus - (downloader agent)

this little virus has popped up a few times in the past few days, the problem is my anti-virus (AVG) dosn't seem to do anything about it. and it is window's that spot's the virus (and prompt's me to scan for a virus). what is also equally annoying is that it takes 3-4hrs to complete a full scan (53gb - used space)- which i am sure is way too long. and although the scan deals with the problem - the next day it is back. - it is also lurking on my C drive (my old HDD that i don't use, and havnt for some time.)

the virus checker is fully (and regulary) updated.

i was thinking of changing back to norton (firewall and anti-virus) as i never had any virus problem then. but the problem with norton is it plays havoc with web browsing.

tophatter
12th November 2004, 15:26
try the free scan at panda software. like i say its free and is bang up to date

Win2Win
12th November 2004, 15:43
Panda is the best. Used to be business only but for sale to the public now.

presto
12th November 2004, 15:51
having a few problems with the site (panda), not sure if it is just me, but i cant run the 'active scan' (looks a very usefull feature), nor can i 'try' the software - as i have to submit my details, e-mail etc... and when i do this i just get an error on page message.

the virus is a nasty piece of spyware, with top marks on damage, distrabution and has a severe threat level :(

Win2Win
12th November 2004, 16:00
Some viruses these days actually stop you using the AV sites, so it may be worth trying to enter it using the browser OPERA or FIREFOX

tophatter
12th November 2004, 16:02
keep trying it Presto. Leave it a little while and give it a whirl again.

TheOldhamWhisper
12th November 2004, 17:47
Adaware6 will remove the downloader agent.

presto
18th November 2004, 01:08
update:

well i have tried everything:

AVG - anti virus
zone alarm - anti virus
norton - anti virus
panda - anti virus

adaware
seek and destroy

and after 9 hour's worth of virus scans. with nothing to show - and a good dose of spyware remover i have come to the conclusion that the virus musn't realy exist and that windows is just playing up a bit. as the warning message keeps popping up periodically.

Neildb
18th November 2004, 09:33
Hi Presto

If the error message looks like it is a Windows error message it may not be a virus at all, it might just be an advert/pop up.

If it does look like a Windows error message it may be because your messager service is running. Try disabling that......

control panel/administrative tools/services. Double click messenger then in the start up type select disabled then click stop. Then click ok.

I have a couple of questions...

What operation system are you using?
and
Do you have perminantely on broadband?

Good luck.

Neil

Win2Win
18th November 2004, 09:42
Have you installed SP2?

presto
18th November 2004, 13:41
it does look like a genuine windows message (i will take a print screen the next time i see it). although the directory it says the virus is in does not exist.

i don't have messanger running, never had.

i do have broadband, i use win XP with sp2 installed.

presto
18th November 2004, 14:24
heres what the error message looks like.

(the directory does not exist, and i dont use my C drive)

Neildb
18th November 2004, 15:10
Hi

In that case you need to stop system restore.

Right click on my computer and select properties, then goto system restore and then tick 'Turn off system restore on all drive'

The trouble with system restore is that if you have a virus it also backs that up! Clever :peek

That should do the trick!

Neil