PDA

View Full Version : Excel charts

mathare
14th November 2004, 20:46
It's not often I have to ask for help with Excel but then it's not that often I play with charts.

I have a chart that runs from the start of September last year to today. On it are three data series. Series one has valid data for all of the time the chart covers. Series 2 and series 3 do not, they only kick in around May of this year. Is it possible to set the chart up such that the data ranges for series 2 and 3 only cover the range for which they have valid data and have the line appear in the right place?

My x range is "=Dailies!$A$71:$A$503" with series 1 y-values being "=Dailies!$E$71:$E$503". I have no data for series 2 and 3 for rows 71 to 305 but if I set series 2 to be "=Dailies!$F$306:$F$503" the line appears at the left hand side of the chart, so not aligned with the relevant x-values. The same for series 3. At the minute I have just put 0 in rows 71-305 for columns F and G and plotted the whole range (=Dailies!$F$71:$F$503 etc.). Is there a better way to do it?

ADIPaul
15th November 2004, 01:30
Not sure I've taken it in properly, but it sounds OK to me except you could enter "" instead of 0 in rows 71-305 for cols. F & G. This just shows as an empty cell and wont register anything on your chart.

mathare
15th November 2004, 10:35
That's what I like to hear, a simple solution and one that works.

ADIPaul - you're a genius mate, cheers for that :)