PDA

View Full Version : BT openworld!

vegyjones
17th November 2004, 17:32
;fire

Right.

I had an account with Virgin... but when I placed an order
for their 24/7 option... my connection went bad and so I couldn't log on!

I decided to put in a BT Openworld CD in to find out what they had to offer
but all that came up was a question saying

"Do you wantr to register now" or
"Do you want to register later"

I clicked the latter! Now... everytime I click on
my Explorer or Outlook express,

a screen comes up from BT Openworld asing me
whether I want to register now or later!

When I click later... it just turns off!!!!

I can't get rid of this screen...
I assume that they have automatically installed some sort of cookie!

I did delete all cookies... but that didn't work!

Does anyone know what i am talking about... and if you do... how do I resolve this. I can't access any ofmy e-mails until this is sorted out...

please help!

:(

Win2Win
17th November 2004, 17:36
Check the RUN>MSCONFIG file and see if it's putting anything in on bootup.

Check the CD for an UNISTALL

My sister had a similar problem, I just searched the registry for btopenworld and deleted the references RUN>REGEDIT

vegyjones
17th November 2004, 17:38
Cheers Keith...

Will have a go at that tonight
and let you know tomorrow!

Still no broadband... tesco are taking :censored: ages!

Hey MARK, can't you put in a good word for me mate! :laugh

vegyjones
17th November 2004, 17:40
Check the RUN>MSCONFIG file and see if it's putting anything in on bootup.

Check the CD for an UNISTALL

My sister had a similar problem, I just searched the registry for btopenworld and deleted the references RUN>REGEDIT

Just so that I am sure...

I go to RUN and type in

D://msconfig
and
d://regedit

Is that right Keith... I'm a bit of a computer gimp you see!!! :D

markwales
17th November 2004, 17:49
I had the same problem on my PC with Freeserve/Wanadoo which was pre-programmed when purcahsed.....not quite sure how I got rid of it though !!...lol

I think I just did a search for the word Freeserve in files, and deleted the shole lot in one hit. Dangerous I guess but it worked.

No help as usual Mark !!!

vegyjones
17th November 2004, 17:54
I did a search for BT Openworld... and deleted those!

That didn't work! :(

Bloody computers!!!!!! ;fire

GlosRFC
17th November 2004, 18:02
Just so that I am sure...

I go to RUN and type in

D://msconfig
and
d://regedit

Is that right Keith... I'm a bit of a computer gimp you see!!! :D

No, you just go to Start, Run and then type in MSCONFIG. Have a look under the various tabs to see if there's a program running there that is connected to BTOpenworld, particularly under the Startup tab. It might be called something like Launcher.exe or Register.Exe
Either way, if you spot something suspicious, uncheck the little box and click OK. Reboot and see if that got rid of it. If so you can go back into MSCONFIG and delete that entry. If not, go back and check the box again.

Before you try REGEDIT, go to Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and see if there's an entry in there you can uninstall.

Finally, go to Start, Run and type in REGEDIT. Do a search for BTOpenworld and delete anything untoward in there. Make sure you've made a backup of your registry first though.

vegyjones
17th November 2004, 18:09
Cheers Glos... I have written all that down
and will try it tonight!

(If anyone spots plumes of black smoke coming from London... that'll be my house) :D

Just a quickie... you said make a backup of my registry... do I just save it to a disk to do that!

GlosRFC
17th November 2004, 18:23
Depends what version of Windows you have. 95 and 98 is easy as you can just copy the entire registry by clicking on Start, Run, type SCANREGW and follow the prompts to backup. It'll normally be stored in the Windows/Sysbckup directory as Rb0?.cab (? = a number from 1 to 5)

With XP it's a little more involved as you need to log on with Administrator privileges and, in their wisdom, Microsoft neglected to include a backup facility as standard with the Home installation. If you've got Home XP you'll first need to install it from your CD by going to Start, Run and typing D:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

Once you've done that (or if you have XP Professional) go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup. Click the Advanced Mode line then select Backup Wizard (Advanced). Select the Only back up the System State data option, Next and then Browse. Don't worry if you get an Insert Disk warning, just cancel that. Select the option for Desktop in the lefthand panel and select Save. Keep clicking next and then Finish.

Win2Win
17th November 2004, 18:45
Also use the SEARCH as you'll find that the 'LATER' window is in HTML, and when you find that directory, delete the lot.

vegyjones
18th November 2004, 12:16
Hi all,

I tried looking at MSCONFIG and REGEDIT

and besides containing a load of stuff that I didn't understand,
I couldn't find anything untoward or anything that loooked related
to BT openworld.

I am going to e-mail them in a minute to see if they can tell me how to fix it.

Just in case they don't answer... if you have any more advice or can be more specific... (difficult I know without looking at it) it would be greatly appreciated... thanks! :wink

Win2Win
18th November 2004, 12:22
In REGEDIT use the FIND function from the top menu and search for 'btopenworld'. Delete it all if found.

Look for the same using the basic Windows SEARCH function, and delete them all.

What it has done is hijack your IE, which is bad practise. If it was the US you could probably have them over a log :doh

vegyjones
18th November 2004, 12:30
I did a search for BT Openworld and about 5 files came up.

I deleted 4, but it wouldn't let me delete the last one!!!!!!

Win2Win
18th November 2004, 13:21
That's because it was part of the other 4 so had already gone!!

Now you need to find the folder with the data in for the Register now/later window, and delete it, this may help http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/find_overview.mspx

GlosRFC
18th November 2004, 13:41
This might also sound obvious...but have you attempted a system restore back to the point before the CD was inserted? If all else fails, that may well solve things for you.