PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players....

Larsson7
7th December 2004, 10:29
Got one couple of weeks back ..it connected OK to my pc , went through Windows installing new software etc , and I downloaded a number of tracks from my selection...mow when I want to change what I have stored on MPS , when I plug connection to pc...nothing..the pc doesn't show icon for MP3 player...any help suggestion appreciated folks.

And while I remember , my friend used her MP3 connection on my pc on Sunday , and it was fine.

Win2Win
7th December 2004, 11:16
Have you tried unistalling and reinstalling the software first, as Windows can 'forget'

Larsson7
7th December 2004, 11:25
Have you tried unistalling and reinstalling the software first, as Windows can 'forget'

Thanks mate....now this I am sure will be the dumbest question EVER...but when I open add/remove box via My Computer...what will the connection for the MP3 player look like....nothing obvious that I can see.

Win2Win
7th December 2004, 12:42
Try from the START>ALL PROGRAMS menus and see if you can find anything in there first, they should supply an UNINSTALL program, unless they are one of the crap companies :)

Try under MP3, the model, manufacturer, etc

Also if you have an icon you can right-click >PROPERTIES, and it tells you were the software is. That may give you a clue.

domjon
9th December 2004, 17:23
did your friend use the same USB port or a different one? A shot in the dark but I was tearing my hair out with my player intermittently not being recognised...turned out to be as simple as one of my USB ports being a bit ropey.

What player do you have out of interest and is it any good?

challengerduluc
10th December 2004, 00:14
re : IPOD & MP3s sorry to be a dunce - if I buy either of these - can either/both be "loaded" with tracks that I have copied on to my PC (standard Windows Media player) from CDs - or will they only accept particular formats of tracks ?

Which is best ? - for someone who has no interest whatsoever in farting around - it has to be quick and simple and pimple free

Cheers babes

Workshy
10th December 2004, 09:13
By default, Windows Media Player (WMP) rips music to your pc in WMA format, which I would've thought would work on the ipod. Having checked the tech spec on the Apple website, there is no mention of WMA formats working :doh

Good news though, in WMP, you can go to tools > options > rip music, and change the format which the pc will convert your audio cd's to MP3 instead.

From a little reading on the web, if WMA doesnt work then plans are afoot to change this.

domjon
10th December 2004, 10:38
dont get an IPOD would be my advice, they're overpriced and underfeatured, you're just paying for the alledgedly cool image. I opted for a Rio Karma, 200 notes and worth every penny, I absolutely love it. A doddle to transfer music to it, brilliant battery life (a genuine 14 hours playtime....I believe you're lucky to get 4 hours out of an ipod.), sound quality is top notch, navigation system is far superior - which is probably the most critical factor ...total pain if you have to faff around for ages trying to find the tune you want, and comes with a full kit of accessories for plugging in to your amp/network etc etc. I've heard there are a few issues about build quality but with a 12 month guarantee as standard you should be ok. The Karma holds 10000 WMA songs to answer your question, 'also supports a load of other file formats, mp3, ogg vorbis, blah blah

The Iriver's and Zen Jukebox's are supposed to be far superior to the Ipod too.

challengerduluc
10th December 2004, 18:57
thanks for the advice chaps !