out a scan of my computer...

where's the best free (and safe) website
that I can scan my computer with!

Ta!

bigcumba
2nd February 2005, 23:29
Right here....

http://www.symantec.com/index.htm

near bottom of left hand side under downloads - security check link - you can do a virus scan and check for open ports to see if your system is vulnerable to hackers etc.

vegyjones
2nd February 2005, 23:37
Cheers for that BigC!

Should I download ActiveX controls
BigC...

a pop up comes up saying it could be dangerous
and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary!!!

Fadetoblack
2nd February 2005, 23:40
You can trust them from symantic...A stop at pcpitstop.com is always handy too for a free tune up.

GlosRFC
2nd February 2005, 23:58
www.trendmicro.com also does the trick for me

KC*
3rd February 2005, 00:17
http://www.linksreviewed.com/security.shtml

Has a few website links for security on your pc.

KC

Workshy
3rd February 2005, 00:46
You can trust them from symantic...A stop at pcpitstop.com is always handy too for a free tune up.
Thats what I use too, good site. :)

e55exboi
3rd February 2005, 02:43
Altho u should have virus and spyware software to do it all for you

Workshy
3rd February 2005, 02:45
Altho u should have virus and spyware software to do it all for you

Pcpitstop does a few other things to mate, worth a look if you havent been there.

Fadetoblack
3rd February 2005, 03:15
And everyone should have this.....It's free now, dunno how long that will last...It finds EVERYTHING

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

mathare
3rd February 2005, 10:53
This is good too:

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

vegyjones
3rd February 2005, 11:03
Tried downloading ActiveX controls,
but it wouldnt... don't know whether it's because my computer is so slow.

Tesco said I should try doing a free scan...
I will have to try some of the others posted tonight...

cheers for that lads.

I do have Tesco Internet Security...
they said I may have dowloaded something that uses
my connection thingy at the same time...

I dunno...

GlosRFC
3rd February 2005, 13:54
Slowness shouldn't come into it and, if you're unable to download Active X controls, it's unlikely you'll get any of these types of sites to work.

From the sounds of it, you've picked up a HBO (browser helper object) that's messed around with your IE settings. I'm assuming you've got XP with IE6 - other OS/browser combinations will be similiar.
First thing you'll need to do is close all your browser windows. Then right-click on the IE icon on your desktop and select Properties. Under the Security tab, select each of the zones in turn and select the Default Level. You should end up with Internet = Medium, Local Intranet = Medium Low, Trusted Sites = Low and Restricted Sites = High.

Now highlight the Internet zone again and click on the custom level. Check that the following items under "Active X controls and plug-ins" read as follows:
Download Signed Active X Controls = Prompt
Download Unsigned Active X Controls = Disable
Initialize and Script Active X Controls Not Marked As Safe = Disable
Run Active X Controls and Plug-ins = Enable
Script Active X Controls Marked Safe For Scripting = Enable

If they read as shown press Cancel then OK otherwise, if you've changed any, press OK then OK. You should now be able to download Active X controls so go to one of those AV sites (Symantec or Trend Micro) and run a scan. If you're still unable to download Active X controls, you may need to turn off the Windows or a proprietary firewall.

Let the scan run and then follow the instructions given if it finds any dodgy software. Once you've followed that procedure, run your anti-spyware programs. Again, if they find anything, follow their instructions to delete it.

Empty your recycle bin after completing each of the above stages and before rebooting your PC if you need to do so. If you've reached this stage without having to reboot, do that now.

Turn your firewall back on and again right-click the IE icon on your desktop and select Properties. Under the Advanced tab, make sure the Enable Third Party Extensions option is not checked. OK out of IE properties and then you can go back online and run some of the tune-up programs above like PCPitstop.

vegyjones
3rd February 2005, 14:26
Wow...
thanks for that Glos...
will do as soon as I get home.

Ta, me duck! :D