PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

cod123
27th February 2005, 18:54
Can`t get into OE, keep getting message -folder could not be created, a folder must contain 1 character OK, I click OK then get message- Norton anti spam needs to restart .OE will now be restarted ok (but it doesn`t)

I`ve rung Wanadoo and they have told me to go to Help on OE but I can`t get past the above messages. I`ve also uninstalled norton and reinstalled but still same messages.
Help appreciated

Win2Win
27th February 2005, 18:55
Go to the CP>Add/Remove & repair it.

cod123
27th February 2005, 20:17
Got to the add/remove programmes but no repair instructions and OE doesn`t show on the "currently installed programs" list.

Win2Win
27th February 2005, 20:44
You need to click Add/Remove Window Components

cod123
27th February 2005, 22:38
No joy unfortunately.

GlosRFC
28th February 2005, 02:11
Sounds to me as if your main folder has become corrupted.

Before you try the more drastic solution I've outline below, the first thing is to check that OE is set up as the default Windows email program:
Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options.
Click the Programs tab.
Next to E-mail, check to see what email program is selected.
If OE is not selected, click the arrow and select it from the drop-down list of email programs.
Click Apply.
Click OK.

Check if you're able to open OE now. If so, then you should be okay otherwise it's time for the drastic solution. Unfortunately, as you can't open OE, you will have to navigate manually to the directory that contains the corrupted folder. Open up My Computer and go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\General User\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{433E02D3-6768-45AC-840B-7C65FA706E0D}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Note that the string of numbers highlighted in bold above will be different in your case. In that folder you will see all of your OE folders - these are the ones that end in the extension .DBX including the one I suspect is corrupted, folder.dbx
To see the extensions, click on Tools, Folder Options, View and turn off the option to Hide extensions for known file types.

Copy all of the .DBX files into a temporary directory then delete them from your Outlook Express directory. Restart OE and, all being well, it will recreate a blank folder.dbx file for you. Note that, if your main folder is corrupt, then you will lose all your saved emails.

If OE now works, you have two options. You can either copy each of the .dbx folders back into the Outlook Express folder to see which ones work (leave the folder.dbx file as all you'll do is stitch up OE again) or you can use the File, Import option in OE to import them from the temporary directory.

Best of luck.

cod123
22nd March 2005, 21:13
What a nightmare, been out of action for three weeks, my hard drive packed up while I was trying to sort OE, thankfully i`m on a maintenance contract but had to wait over a week until the new HD and master CDs were delivered from France but then the modem wouldn`t work so had to wait another few days for the engineer to sort. Anyhow thanks for trying to help with OE. Also made a pig`s ear of my excel data backups of the pro bets and seem to have lost quite a bit of info. Oh well......

Win2Win
22nd March 2005, 21:14
So it's you I got the server drive from!!! ;fire ;fire :D