PDA

View Full Version : Firefox browser.

sparkyminer
27th March 2005, 15:27
Just thought I'd post this as I know some of you use the Firefox browser.

Mozilla fixes flaw

The Mozilla Foundation issued a patch for a major security flaw in its Firefox browser and advised people to update their software, CNET reports.

The problem is caused by a buffer overflow in legacy Netscape code still included in the browser for animating GIF images. Similar memory problems have affected Mozilla's browsers and Microsoft's Internet Explorer in the past. A malicious attacker could exploit them by creating carefully crafted image files that, when viewed by a victim in a browser, execute a program and compromise the system.

The flaw was discovered by Internet Security Systems, a network protection company, and patched before the public learned of the issue.

The Mozilla Foundation released version 1.02 of Firefox on Wednesday to fix the problem and asked that all users download and apply the patch.

Win2Win
27th March 2005, 16:03
Their is a new version of Microsoft Internet Explorer available, it's called Firefox :laugh

skunkybob
29th March 2005, 21:47
The honeymoon is over......but it still rocks...

susanwells
29th March 2005, 22:29
does when it`s working.. i find it stops being accessible the moment the internet gets busy and i have to transfer to IE... good in parts then. :hearty

John
3rd April 2005, 14:55
Thanks Sparky, just seen this.

sparkyminer
11th April 2005, 05:55
Another alert....

Another flaw found in Firefox

A flaw has been discovered in the popular open-source browser Firefox that could expose sensitive information stored in memory, ZDNet reports.

According to security company Secunia, Firefox versions 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 contain the vulnerability. The flaw stems from an error in the JavaScript engine that can expose arbitrary amounts of heap memory after the end of a JavaScript string. As a result, an exploit may disclose sensitive information in the memory.

"Unlike other browser flaws, this one is not subject to phishing or access to the system. But it can expose sensitive information from other Web sites you visited and the information you entered there," said Thomas Kristensen, Secunia chief technology officer.

The Mozilla Foundation, which makes the Firefox browser, is working on a patch, and no cases have been reported, a representative for the group said.

Secunia has developed a test that allows people to see whether their system is affected by the vulnerability.

Click here to read the full story.

Click here to take Secunia's test.

Obviously the links don't work as it's a C & P job, you'll have to google Secunia.

susanwells
12th April 2005, 08:38
Thanks a lot Sparky.. sounds like it`s back to all the old browser probs. trouble is the hackers are always one step ahead. :hearty