PDA

View Full Version : Dummies guide to databases...

Workshy
6th April 2005, 12:57
I'm applying for a job :yikes: and the role involves the use of databases. Would be appreciated if some kind forumite could provide a little intro, so I know what I'm talking about, should I get an interview. The role is ideal really so I'm gunning for it! Got the advanced Excel certificates and good pc skills, just lacking on the d/b stuff having forgotten most of my studies! :geek

Thanks in advance, I feel a rep frenzy coming on :wiggle:

Win2Win
6th April 2005, 12:59
It's easy using Acces, you can pick it up in a few days, but God help you if you need to relate to two DB's together, and update them!!! :yikes:

e55exboi
6th April 2005, 13:05
What's a database? :geek :laugh

MarcusMel
6th April 2005, 13:08
eeeeek! First Normal Form upto 5th Normal Form. (That will have you quaking in your shoes :D )

lowe1
6th April 2005, 13:17
I'm applying for a job :yikes: and the role involves the use of databases. Would be appreciated if some kind forumite could provide a little intro, so I know what I'm talking about, should I get an interview. The role is ideal really so I'm gunning for it! Got the advanced Excel certificates and good pc skills, just lacking on the d/b stuff having forgotten most of my studies! :geek

here you go everything you need to know

http://www.maths.soton.ac.uk/~cjh/ma156/matrices/excel/excel.html

tony

GlosRFC
6th April 2005, 13:49
Best advice I can give is to do a search on SQL structure as most databases employ this technique. If nothing else, you can swot up on the jargon and baffle them during the interview.

The key to any good database is the initial design - if possible, it pays to break all of the constituent data into the smallest possible building blocks - so this place might help
http://www.geekgirls.com/menu_databases.htm

John
6th April 2005, 14:43
eeeeek! First Normal Form upto 5th Normal Form. (That will have you quaking in your shoes :D )

Surely 3NF is all he'd need to know, I've never come across anything that would be complicated enough to use 5NF, even though in rare cases it does exist.

Can you do Normalisation, B?

Have a read up about primary keys/foreign keys, etc. Then there's your queries and reports and such like.

I hope this is flooding back to you. :D

Good luck with your application. :wink

Workshy
6th April 2005, 14:53
No No No, information overload! :laugh Woooooosh, all going over my head!

TheOldhamWhisper
6th April 2005, 15:05
I'd suggest taking a spreadsheet and transferring the data over to an access database as a good way of seeing how similar things are. Use the 'Get External Data' and Import an Excel file (make sure the first row has a description of what is in each column).

When you have done that, open up the sheet and see haw the data is stored. Then look at the sheet in design view and use the dropdowns to assign the most appropriate field types - also make sure you set the field lengths to the smallest size you will actually need (eg if one field is for a postcode, set to 8 - including the space in the middle) - this ensures your database doesn't use up more resources than is necessary (I would not hire anyone who did not check this!!).

Once you have a 'feel' for how it is stored, use the Forms wizard to create an 'automatic' form based on the data - again, view it in design view and move a few things about to see how it looks.

Next, make a query - something simple at first (eg find everything with a particular value) and then view it in design mode and finally go to the View menu and click on SQL Code to see the 'text view'.

Finally, create a report - use the wizard - and base it on your query. Switch to design mode and add a few decorative features etc.

When you've done all that, write one from scratch - something easy such as an address book. You'll be surprised how easy the simple stuff can be - even when you haven't used databases before!

John
6th April 2005, 15:21
Good post Oldham.

Brian, this might be useful to you: http://www.katsueydesignworks.com/tutorials_databases.htm

Workshy
6th April 2005, 15:24
Cheers chaps, will have a closer look later. :D

Stewards enquiry
6th April 2005, 17:14

A JOB. STOP SWEARING. Ooo

Workshy
6th April 2005, 17:25
I know mate, its bad :laugh In all seriousness, I'm looking to rent a house (for the first time) so need a job.