PDA

View Full Version : top 100 albums of all time

bigcumba
17th April 2005, 14:24
on Channel 4 just now till midnight :)

icebreaker
18th April 2005, 10:46
BigC, could you post the the top three albums as chosen on Ch 4 please.

Sky don't carry Channel 4.

THanks.

GlosRFC
18th April 2005, 11:05
http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/G/greatest/albums/results.html

mathare
18th April 2005, 11:06
Always nice to see my hometown get a mention on things like that.

Weird thing is I don't think that many people in Cleethorpes know about Rod Temperton

bigcumba
18th April 2005, 11:12
JUst counted - I have 45 of that top 100:yikes:

GlosRFC
18th April 2005, 11:16
And I'm sure you'd consider your 45 albums to be placed higher than they were in the poll which, to me, appears to be significantly skewed by todays text-happy yoof. There are certainly a couple in the top 15 (hint) that won't last the test of time :D

GlosRFC
18th April 2005, 11:43
Just thinking about my post in the Humour forum - maybe we can persuade Channel 4 to produce a list of the 100 worst ever songs? That would be right up their street :)

vegyjones
18th April 2005, 11:53
I have numbers 3 and 77
does that make me trndy?? :laugh

and what's this I spy,
no Lighthouse Family ;fire

vegyjones
18th April 2005, 11:54
And I'm sure you'd consider your 45 albums to be placed higher than they were in the poll which, to me, appears to be significantly skewed by todays text-happy yoof. There are certainly a couple in the top 15 (hint) that won't last the test of time :D
Just in case anyone doesn't know, Glos is referring to Queen and the Beatles!

GlosRFC
18th April 2005, 11:58
I was? I could've sworn I was talking about Oasis.

bigcumba
18th April 2005, 12:04
Totally agree mate, For starters, Led Zep only one in there and 17th. No Deep Purple, no Cream, no Eric Clapton, only one Pink Floyd, one Bowie, one Rod Stewart, no Faces, no Slade, no T Rex, no Genesis......

When you look further they had a shortlist of only 125.... and no idea who voted for those!

bigcumba
18th April 2005, 12:06
Channel 4 to produce a list of the 100 worst ever songs? That would be right up their street :)

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/G/greatest/pop_records/results.html

GlosRFC
18th April 2005, 12:09
Sorry but that can't be an authentic list. No Jimmy Cross at number 1 and no Max Bygraves with "I'm a Blue Toothbrush, you're a Pink Toothbrush" at number 2 :D

In fact, I wholly distrust any list that doesn't feature all of Max's "hits", e.g. You Need Hands and Deck of Cards

bigcumba
18th April 2005, 12:14
SingalongaMax.... now that was TV at it's best! http://www.win2winracing.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

Thankkfully I don't have 45 of that list but I do have....

The Laughing Gnome - David Bowie
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? - Rod Stewart
We Built This City - Starship
Spaceman - Babylon Zoo

lowe1
18th April 2005, 12:15
JUst counted - I have 45 of that top 100:yikes:

ive got 37 of them but a few albums missing that deserve to be there example

iron maiden debut album (the one with the lucozade track on)
mettallica the black album

two albums that are inspirational to many a band

bigcumba
18th April 2005, 12:16
Yep, that's another couple that could have been in there - I guess between us we could turn it into a Metal top 100 (plus Frank Sinatra of course!):D

MarcusMel
18th April 2005, 12:23
No Shadows - They were very influential in the DJ club sceans!!!

No Aka Bilk (spelling?) - Tomita (spelling?) - Very influential in creating electroic music.

(I'm having a bad spelliing day!)

GlosRFC
18th April 2005, 12:27
No place in that album list for Ogdens Nut Gone Flake, Hot Rats, Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus, Aqualung, Wheels of Fire, or One More From the Road :(

In case anyone reading this doesn't have a clue what I'm on about that's albums by the Small Faces, Frank Zappa, Spirit, Jethro Tull, Cream and Lynyrd Skynrd

MarcusMel
18th April 2005, 12:28
and how can you forget Mike Olfield' Tubler Bells the Album that funded Virgin in its other enterprises!

bigcumba
18th April 2005, 12:44
Marcus You're not old enough to be an Acker Bilk fan!

Glos - yes definitely wrong to miss Jethro Tull and Skynyrd. I'm not a big Zappa fan, but his talent and influence was immense. The Spirit album is a classic, as is the Small Faces one and I've already mentioned Cream as being one that should have been in there as well. I've got original New Zealand copies of Disraeli Gears and Wheels that I picked up second hand years ago - still got the record shop address label on them... sadly they weren't in the best of nick when I bought them but playable enough. Got them on CD now as well though - great stuff!

Just burning some more CD's while I'm typing this - working through Gb's of stuff I downloaded last year, and next up is another that could have been in there - In The Court Of The Crimson King - classic King Crimson album :)

MarcusMel
18th April 2005, 12:47
Strangers on the shore - a haunting piece of claranet playing - Something my claranet could never achieve :(

bigcumba
18th April 2005, 12:57
Yep, nice piece of music Marcus. My dad was a fan of that sort of thing - good old trad jazz llike Kenny Ball, Chris Barber, and a bit of skiffle with Lonnie Donegan, all great music!

MattR
18th April 2005, 13:00
ive got 37 of them but a few albums missing that deserve to be there example

iron maiden debut album (the one with the lucozade track on)
mettallica the black album

two albums that are inspirational to many a band

Phantom of the Opera was the track.

Vic
18th April 2005, 13:30
Lonnie Donegan, all great music!

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

I guess we've all got our own ideas of what should have been up there, but as noted above, some real class stuff missing and some that I can't understand how it even got on the list. My top 3 would be:
3 Dark side of the moon / Sgt Peppers (can't decide)
2 Joshua Tree (although I now prefer All That You Cant Leave Behind - but JT was & remains a classic)
1 LedZep IV ( yeah I know it didn't have a title).

- although I cant really argue with OK Computer @ no1, just how do you split such great music.

bigcumba
18th April 2005, 15:13
Lonnie Donegan was class! Not the later nonsense stuff - Does Your Bubbblegum lose it's flavour, that sort of thing, but the earlier stuff - a lot of it was old American folk, jazz and blues songs, Cumberland Gap for instance - now that one rocked!:wink