PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

Stewards enquiry
7th May 2005, 18:22
I have recently changed from broadband basic to broadband. The instructions state that I can surf the net give or take, 15 hours a day and that I am permanently connected to the internet. If I am not using the internet but have my computer on for say microsoft word am I right in thinking that my 15 hours of time is not being monitored whilst I am not on the actual internet. And that I have to open a page on the internet for the usage time to start.

presto
7th May 2005, 18:29
the 15hrs per day is a basic guidline of how much bandwith you take up per month. surfing dosn't take too much bandwith. but if you start downloading then you may come unstuck and have to pay extra at the end of the month.

even though you are connected perminantly they only check on the ammount of bandwith you use.

by the way - get a good firewall / virus checker. as being connected perminantly, creates more chances for 'bad stuff' to happen to your computer,

bigcumba
7th May 2005, 18:29
There shouldn't actually be any time limit on your broadband connection - that's why it's 'always on'. That might just be a way of selling the particular broadband deal. More likely is a download limit - some will be as low as 1Gb a month, most will be higher, and the likes of AOL are unlimited. Theonly way you'll go over any decent limit is if you download piles of music, movies or games - for general browsing and e-mail and the odd download you won't have to worry.

Stewards enquiry
7th May 2005, 18:35
Thanks BigC I never download music or games or anything like that. I only use the computer for the forum, bookmaker sites and things like that.

Stewards enquiry
7th May 2005, 18:37
My leaflet states 15 GB per month.

bigcumba
7th May 2005, 19:28
My leaflet states 15 GB per month.

You have no worries then mate - you'll hardly put a dent in that with normal browsing!

Stewards enquiry
7th May 2005, 19:34
Thanks for the info.

Win2Win
8th May 2005, 01:36
Now download Shareaza and start dumping music on your system :D

kookooheed
8th May 2005, 08:06
Now download Shareaza and start dumping music on your system :D
whats the difference between shareaza and kazza.i stopped downloading off kazza after the news of prosecutions in america

Win2Win
8th May 2005, 08:07
Depends what your uploading, no downloading when it comes to prosecutions.

kookooheed
8th May 2005, 08:14
looks interesting keith.after paying the £20 for lifetime membership are all the music files free after that, and do you have to upload.cheers

markwales
8th May 2005, 08:27
I didn't pay anything for shareaza, just used the free version.

In my opinion, Limewire is up there with, and probably better than shareaza...the free version is great.

kookooheed
8th May 2005, 08:30
I didn't pay anything for shareaza, just used the free version.

In my opinion, Limewire is up there with, and probably better than shareaza...the free version is great.
cheers mark i'll give limewire a bash

Stewards enquiry
8th May 2005, 11:02
Thanks Presto.

bigcumba
8th May 2005, 11:29
Shareaza is free - if you've paid for it you've been done. There are hacked versions of it out there that are not safe to use, and dodgy websites that will happily charge you for copies of it. Only ever download it from the official website here

http://www.shareaza.com/