PDA

View Full Version : Odds

andyp
8th May 2005, 15:26
Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice please?
When placing a bet is it better to take the odds available there and then or not? Or is it just pot luck as to wether the horses prices will increase or decrease? any info would be appreciated as i always feel i am gonna lose out.

tophatter
8th May 2005, 15:31
when i used to bet at the bookies i nearly always took the price. If you think it is a bet worth striking then, why let the market dictate what price you end up getting? I use the exchanges now so SP dont matter.

andyp
8th May 2005, 16:08
Thanks TH i think i am gonna start doing that.

Workshy
8th May 2005, 16:58
As TH does, the using the exchanges is the best option, no question. If you do use a booky, the 3 things I'd consider are;

1. The f/c price (racing post maybe the best common media, they do get it wrong alot though)

2. The price you expected, I always try to consider what I think the price should be.

3. Whether the horse has been tipped up, alot of tipster hotline selections move prices, as does pricewise. If they've tipped it up, expect the price to gradually contract.

I'm sure others will throw in other ideas :doh

sparkyminer
9th May 2005, 10:51
As a general rule of thumb Andy, if it's system lay, the price drops massively just after you placed your bet, and a system back, conversely, the price climbs massively just after you've placed your bet. ::swear
In my experience anyway. :D

Elbarto
9th May 2005, 12:00
Well i rarely get it right at the bookies for a horse. Went in the day of the Grand National, saw that hedgehunter had drifted out to 10/1 from 7/1 yet didnt take the price as i thought he might go out a bit more, how wrong could i be.

frontrunner
9th May 2005, 12:38
hello there Elbarto :wink

Try oddschecker it will give you a picture of the market ie what horses are being supported and which horses are drifting.

good luck

Frontrunner
:spinning

Elbarto
9th May 2005, 22:42
hello there Elbarto :wink

Try oddschecker it will give you a picture of the market ie what horses are being supported and which horses are drifting.

good luck

Frontrunner
:spinning

Thanks for that just been thinking about that now. Only problem is Hedgehunter was drifting at the time I was putting on the bet and i had no reason to believe his odds would shorten as much as they would after drifting. But you always live and learn