PDA

View Full Version : Building your own PC

butterbean
28th May 2005, 12:01
I built my own PC a few years ago and its running ok... I have got a week off work :yikes: so Im gonna buy some new stuff and upgrade it...

Does anyone know a good book or website that "clearly" shows you how to change components and rebuild a PC??

Thanks in advance

Merkin
28th May 2005, 12:12
Not sure if this is clear enough for you Bean but you could try

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

There are quite a few sites by doing a google search

butterbean
28th May 2005, 12:21
Thanks mate.. just what I need, an idiots guide..

The manuals supplied with my original kit are all in computer dork language...

Win2Win
28th May 2005, 17:31
I wouldn't bother upgrading, just get new everything. Keep the HD, but add an extra one.
You can get a 2600AMD for around £40. PC3200 for 512MB for £18, case £15...etc...

Workshy
28th May 2005, 17:58
Keith, who would recommend for parts? I'm looking at building my 4th & 5th pc's over the coming weeks and am reluctant to use ebuyer again after their poor customer service last time I used them. Cheers :)

mathare
28th May 2005, 18:00
Dabs are normally pretty good Workshy, try them

butterbean
28th May 2005, 18:07
Keith, who would recommend for parts? I'm looking at building my 4th & 5th pc's over the coming weeks and am reluctant to use ebuyer again after their poor customer service last time I used them. Cheers :)

don't say that Worshy I have just ordered a pile of stuff from Ebuyer :yikes:

They charged me VAT on delivery charges :doh

Workshy
28th May 2005, 18:09
don't say that Worshy I have just ordered a pile of stuff from Ebuyer :yikes:

They charged me VAT on delivery :doh

Eeeek, I hope it was a one off for your sake mate. Took weeks to sort them fuppers out I tell ya!

Workshy
28th May 2005, 18:10
Dabs are normally pretty good Workshy, try them

Yeah, used them before. Cheers dude. :)

John
28th May 2005, 18:10
They're based in Sheffield... what can ye say... :laugh

butterbean
28th May 2005, 18:12
what was the problem?

A few people have told me they are ok.. pretty good deal for what I got..

Laf
28th May 2005, 18:17
Komplett is pretty good aswell. I built a new PC a couple of months back and got all the parts there. Had no problems with them and their prices are about the best (from Ireland anyway).

Workshy
28th May 2005, 18:17
Yeah, prices are good.

Basically I placed an order, all items in stock and it never arrived. I contacted them (via their slow ticketing system) to ask what the issue was and they said 1 item wasnt in stock, so i modified my order for the same thing to happen again. I double checked everything was in stock and they came out with the same excuse when it never got dispatched. Must've been a blip in the stock system.

John
28th May 2005, 18:19
Have you checked out Novatech?

www.novatech.co.uk

mathare
28th May 2005, 18:20
Weird.

I use Ebuyer regularly for stuff, not just PC bits, and they have always been fine for me.

Workshy
28th May 2005, 18:26
Is there any new technology I should be aware of? I'm only planning to build basic pc's for music 'storage', internet & poker :D

Also, regards games, I only need worry about the graphics card? Assuming I have adequate memory/cpu.

butterbean
28th May 2005, 18:26
Yeah, prices are good.

Basically I placed an order, all items in stock and it never arrived. I contacted them (via their slow ticketing system) to ask what the issue was and they said 1 item wasnt in stock, so i modified my order for the same thing to happen again. I double checked everything was in stock and they came out with the same excuse when it never got dispatched. Must've been a blip in the stock system.

They had loads in stock for all the stuff I ordered... Hopefully they wont :censored: it up

Workshy
28th May 2005, 18:29
They had loads in stock for all the stuff I ordered... Hopefully they wont :censored: it up

:laugh They had loads in stock when I ordered too!!! Pokering at all tonight fella?

butterbean
28th May 2005, 18:33
:laugh They had loads in stock when I ordered too!!! Pokering at all tonight fella?

:) :)

Been playing all day on bettie mate.. doing pretty well...

is there a Win2Win game this evening??

mathare
28th May 2005, 18:34
Is there any new technology I should be aware of? I'm only planning to build basic pc's for music 'storage', internet & poker :D

Also, regards games, I only need worry about the graphics card? Assuming I have adequate memory/cpu.Not as far as I know.

Memory is dirt cheap so make sure you bang loads of that in. Get a good CPU and cool it properly. Getting a decent case with nice fans can help a lot on that front too.

Or get a transparent case and fans with LEDs on :)

Workshy
28th May 2005, 18:34
Dunno, they play on 365 which I dont use Ooo

What stakes you been at?

Win2Win
28th May 2005, 18:40
www.dabs.com Cheap & reliable, fast delivery. Quickest delivery is 5pm, had it 8am on free delivery!!

www.ebuyer.com Cheap, delivery can get expensive if you want it quick, and citylink deliver, have lost 3 packages in 3 years.

www.aria.co.uk Some great offers, and worth keeping an eye on. Ordered 4pm yesterday a PCI SATA for £7 with RAID!! Paid 3 day delivery, had it at 8am today.

www.savastore.com can be good as well, but don't use them often.

I build 2-5 a month.

butterbean
28th May 2005, 18:42
Dunno, they play on 365 which I dont use Ooo

What stakes you been at?

A few £1 + 20p and the rest £10 + 1...

up about £50 on poker and about £30 down on the ggs....

Workshy
28th May 2005, 18:47
www.dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/) Cheap & reliable, fast delivery. Quickest delivery is 5pm, had it 8am on free delivery!!

www.ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com/) Cheap, delivery can get expensive if you want it quick, and citylink deliver, have lost 3 packages in 3 years.

www.aria.co.uk (http://www.aria.co.uk/) Some great offers, and worth keeping an eye on. Ordered 4pm yesterday a PCI SATA for £7 with RAID!! Paid 3 day delivery, had it at 8am today.

www.savastore.com (http://www.savastore.com/) can be good as well, but don't use them often.

I build 2-5 a month.

Cheers dude.

Workshy
28th May 2005, 18:53
A few £1 + 20p and the rest £10 + 1...

up about £50 on poker and about £30 down on the ggs....

Nice one, I'm slightly down at poker today, which is rare! Ooo Will have yo fix that tonight :D

GG's profitable irrelevant of results to come. :)

butterbean
28th May 2005, 18:57
Nice one, I'm slightly down at poker today, which is rare! Ooo Will have yo fix that tonight :D

GG's profitable irrelevant of results to come. :)

nice one mate...

hopfully i'll see you for a game on bettie tonight :wink