PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard

vegyjones
12th June 2005, 13:18
My son is at that pain in the :butthead: stage of his life.

Every time I get off the PC, he jumps in the chair
and yesterday, even managed to put his Tweenies CD in
the machine and load it up :yikes: :yikes:

Is there some way to lock my keyboard so he can't do anything

as it takes time for my PC to shut down and load up again! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

mathare
12th June 2005, 13:21
Can you not just lock the operating system with ctrl+alt+del?

vegyjones
12th June 2005, 13:23
That doesn't lock it,

that just brings up amy task manager that I definitely don't want him to touch! :yikes:

bigcumba
12th June 2005, 13:25
My son is at that pain in the :butthead: stage of his life.

Between the ages of 12 months and 65 years.... :D

Password protected screensaver should be enough for now, or you could just bash him around the ears any time he goes near the PC.... - works for me and the wife :yikes:

vegyjones
12th June 2005, 13:28
Between the ages of 12 months and 65 years.... :D

Password protected screensaver should be enough for now, or you could just bash him around the ears any time he goes near the PC.... - works for me and the wife :yikes:

what's a password protected screensaver?

and you can report your missus for that youn know! :)

chancer
12th June 2005, 13:31
get an electric wire and leave besise the keyboard. He might touch it once, but he won't do it twice.

mathare
12th June 2005, 13:41
what's a password protected screensaver?It's a screensaver that is protected by a password. :doh

Back in the days of CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors, if the same image was shown in the screen for a prolonged period of time, the monitor would suffer from screen burn. The image would be engrained into the screen somewhat so regardless of what you viewed there would be a ghostly image of the burn on the screen too. So screensavers were introduced. A moving set of images that meant the screen was never showing the same thing for any period of time.

These can be protected by a password, with only anyone who knows the password able to unlock the screensaver and access the PC behind it.

Look under Appearances and Themes on you Control Panel if you're on XP. If not, look under Display on the Control Panel. Or something like that anyway.

vegyjones
12th June 2005, 13:42
Cheers Mat! :D

bigcumba
12th June 2005, 13:48
what's a password protected screensaver?

Any old screensaver on your system can be set up to need a password to get back into the system whe it's running - you just need to remember to start the screensaver if you leave the PC or set it up to kick in after a few minutes inactivity.

Stewards enquiry
12th June 2005, 13:54
[QUOTE=bigcumba]Between the ages of 12 months and 65 years.... :D

Between the ages of 12 hours and 90 years. :JK

GlosRFC
12th June 2005, 13:57
If you're using XP you can set up passwords for various accounts. Why not set up an account for your son - that way he can have his own "protected" bit of the PC that he can use while you can retain administrative rights and therefore control what software, if any, he can load.

Alternatively if your keyboard is USB - just unplug it!!

vegyjones
12th June 2005, 13:59
He has his own bit,

but I turn my back for a second (and I don't know whether he is doing it by accident but) he has logged out, and logged in as me,
has the internet and all sorts up! Ooo

mathare
12th June 2005, 14:03
He has his own bit,

but I turn my back for a second (and I don't know whether he is doing it by accident but) he has logged out, and logged in as me,
has the internet and all sorts up! OooLet me guess, all those pictures of naked women on your hard drive are his fault, yeah? :wink

zomby
12th June 2005, 14:04
If you don't want to wait for the screensaver to kick in (and if you're using XP) hold down the Windows key (usually between CTRL and ALT) on your keyboard and also the L key. That'll log you off Windows (but doesn't shutdown the computer) straight away and doesn't shutdown any of your programs or windows that are open.

. If you have your Windows logon passworded, your kid won't be able to get back into Windows unless he knows the password.

You can set up a password for the account in Control Panel - User Accounts

(beat me to it glos lol)

vegyjones
12th June 2005, 14:05
Let me guess, all those pictures of naked women on your hard drive are his fault, yeah? :wink
:D