PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problems

rusko
25th June 2005, 14:43
I have no sound at the moment i looked in systems in control panel and the yellow exclamation mark is against a C-Media AC 97 Audio Device saying "this device cannot start" and relates it to a code 10 which microsoft says

Code 10
If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Anybody any ideas?

TheOldhamWhisper
25th June 2005, 14:52
I believe this is not an unusual problem with this device. On the sites I have looked, they recommend first of all visiting the Windows Update site - the latest drivers are available on there.

Is the device 'onboard' or is it a PCI card?

TheOldhamWhisper
25th June 2005, 15:09
On further investigation, I have found that the Driver update can actually be the cause of the problem!!

The answer seems to be that if you have updated the driver and it causes an error, remove it and install the original driver but if you are using the original driver and have the problem, try the update.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive solution for this but it appears there isn't one!

rusko
25th June 2005, 15:25
The device is onboard, i'll have a look at the drivers. Thanks

rusko
25th June 2005, 15:29
I rolled back the driver to the previous version and it seems to work,and it does seems other people have similar problems, thanks Oldham.

TheOldhamWhisper
25th June 2005, 15:33
Glad I could help.

Win2Win
25th June 2005, 17:05
I had the same problem, something to do with SP2. I wish the lazy buggers would bring out the 64bit version, I've no sound on that OS.