PDA

View Full Version : Couple of songs

Fadetoblack
7th July 2005, 00:29
I'm a big fan of anthem type songs....you know those tunes where if you were at a concert you'd have your two hands and maybe a lighter in the air swaying from side to side.....

Well....

Id like the likes of Samantha, John, bigC and other music lovers to check out these two tracks...

1. Chris De Burgh - In a country churchyard.

Okay I know it's Christ De Burgh and not particularly fashionable, but this guy, in his day was a good storyteller and I think this is a pretty good love song. (I have a really eclectic taste in music..really..)

2. Embrace - My weakness is none of your business

you may know this already but it's another fine example of the swaying arms "anthem"....excellent stuff.

(And one more, not in the anthem vein but in the storytelling mode. Gilbert O Sullivan, from Waterford....has a song you can easily find on a P2Pcalled Alone Again Naturally. Anyone who has lost someone close to them might find the lyrics touching. Check it out and shower me with good rep afterwards.)

Fadetoblack
7th July 2005, 00:33
oh oh....two more recommendations.....

Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction

Chris Isaak - Baby did a bad thing...

That'll do Pig...

John
7th July 2005, 01:29
Cheers for those Dan, will download them tomorrow and give you my thoughts. :)

Did you ever get chance to hear Purple Hills covered by Embrace?

samantha1303
7th July 2005, 06:58
I will check those out.
I saw embrace live last month, quality band from near here.

bigcumba
7th July 2005, 07:12
Early Chris De Burgh was excellent - Spanish Train is a great album, and as you say, a great story teller back then. Chris Isaak - love that voice.... Wicked Game sends shivers gown my spine every time I hear it!

As for Gilbert O'Sullivan - now that takes me back to my youth! A very under-rated songwriter, sometimes a bit 'twee' but clever nevertheless....

Fadetoblack
8th July 2005, 00:38
An excellent cover John....(Purple Hills)

Actually John, if you don't know it....I recommend that you get hold of Spanish Train (the song of Chris De Burghs that Big C mentioned above)

As a songwriter, you'd like it.

John
8th July 2005, 01:11
Thanks again Daz,

Glad you liked Purple Hills!

I haven't had chance today to download those songs you mentioned, but tomorrow I'll be in most of day so will definitely get hold of them.

Chris De Burgh is someone who I know nothing about... I don't know what he looks like, his music, his image, he's just one of those people I've heard of.

One day I'm looking to make a CD of all the songs I've written, no idea when that day will be though. But you're welcome to a copy should it turn out alright!

Fadetoblack
8th July 2005, 10:15
Excellent stuff, would love to have a listen to your stuff.

Tell you what, Ill swap ya for my 2010 comedy sell out at the albert hall....

John
8th July 2005, 12:29
Likewise, that's a done deal. :D