PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh...runtime errors can't use betfair

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 17:34
Can anyone help with this. Everytime i try to log in to betfair the message "runtime error has occurred do you wish to debug" It crops up now and again on other things and i usually just say no and it buggers off. But it's showing up when i press the login button, i press no and it's as if i haven't pressed the login button at all so i can't log in. If i say yes to the de bugger thingy it just messes up my internet connection (which is not hard, aol software doesn't need much help to flaming wrong)

I want to get in betfair, how can i get rid of this stupid thing.

Thanks in advance.............

Vicky

GlosRFC
8th July 2005, 17:43
Assuming that you don't have any spyware or adware on your PC (some of these are known to create script errors so it's advisable to run Spybot and Adaware anyway), then it's safe to say that the people who put the code for the page together have made an error.

Try the following - it might not work if the script is a requirement as part of the log-in routine - but it's worth a try:

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, then scroll down to the Browsing items. You need to turn "Disable script debugging" on (i.e. turn debugging off) by putting a tick in this box*. You also need to remove a tick from the next line "Display a notification about every script error".

* I'm not sure which non-standard version of IE your AOL browser is using but if it's based on IE6 you will have two options, one to disable script debugging for "Internet Explorer" and the other to disable script debugging for "other" - tick both boxes.
That should stop the runtime error box from popping up and crashing your connection but it still might not allow you to log-in.

From what I've seen in here, they must have a bunch of cowboys working on the Betfair site.

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 17:48
Thanks. You were right, it's stopped the annoying message but nothings happening when i try to log in, it's as if i haven't clicked the log in button. I'm running ad aware to see if that turns anything up, hopefully thats whats causing it and i can get rid of the spyware. If it's not........i'm dooooomed!!!

Cheers for the quick reply

GlosRFC
8th July 2005, 17:52
Not a problem. All that does is stop the box from appearing but it won't have done anything to help if they've got a script to verify your password for instance. The only solution would be to email Betfair and explain the problem to them. You might also like to point out that, when they introduce changes to scripts, they might consider testing them on what is still the second most popular browser in the world :D

GlosRFC
8th July 2005, 18:00
One further thing you can try. It's highly likely that you are still viewing a locally cached version of the Betfair log-in page so go into Tools, Internet Options, General, Clear History. Also go into Tools, Internet Options, General, Delete Files, Tick the Delete Offline Content entry, then click OK.

Close all AOL browser windows and relaunch a new one. Go back to Betfair and they will deliver a new version of the log-in page - hopefully without the script error :)

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 18:11
Ad aware has just finished it's scan.

308 things removed :yikes:
How many??
I think i should probably try and use that problem a bit more often :rolleyes:

Right, i've just read your latest post, have gone and deleted all the history files, cheers, thats something else i always forget to do.

Will go and try betfair again

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 18:17
:wiggle: RESULT!!! :wiggle:

Glos, you're a genius thanks, i'm back in and touch wood everything seems normal again.

:wiggle:

GlosRFC
8th July 2005, 18:18
Good stuff - I can feel all that positive rep flowing my way :D

Just remember to run your Adaware/Spybot stuff a little more often in future!

Win2Win
8th July 2005, 18:22
You could have used www.betfair.com/lite/

GlosRFC
8th July 2005, 18:23
betfait?

The Lite version would've allowed her to use Betfair but it was a certainty that she would've encountered the same problem on other pages she visited, so best to sort it out really. And who knows what problems those 308 spyware objects might've been causing her as well :)

Win2Win
8th July 2005, 18:24
May as well be sometimes :laugh

tophatter
8th July 2005, 18:29
Well done Glos - better than paying a pound a minute to a premium advice line. Have some rep!

GlosRFC
8th July 2005, 18:35
I could've charged a pound per minute??? If I'd known, I would've dragged the solution out a bit longer :D

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 18:39
I agree TH, rep points well earned. How do I know how many points I gave or can i only give one point?

I've just been to betfair and now it looks funny. The left hand column where you pick which race etc is all white and when i click on it it brings up a race but all the writings weird, there's even some writing written over other writing, I didn't dare put a bet on cause i couldn't actually see what buttons i was pressing. I've heard of betfair light, but i doubt it's that, maybe it's betfair sh1te??

Or maybe Gods just decided that seeing as i've just about made back what i lost from yesterdays disaster I should call it a day :rolleyes:

sparkyminer
8th July 2005, 18:43
Ad aware has just finished it's scan.

308 things removed :yikes:
How many??
I think i should probably try and use that problem a bit more often :rolleyes:

Why not set it to Autoscan? Once a day at 3am! :)

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 18:57
My Dad does that, I couldn't sleep if i knew the pc was switched on all night in case it set on fire.

I'm always moaning about this pc but you know it's becoming obvious i don't really take as much care of it as perhaps i should:)
Hasn't been defragged for months (last time i tried it refused so i never bothered again) , internet history just got cleared probably for the first time this year, spyware...again, 1st time in ages, no wonder it's broken :rolleyes:

I deserve to be charged a pound a minute really don't I.........

sparkyminer
8th July 2005, 19:08
Why not set it to Autoscan? Once a day at 3am! :)
Once a day at 10pm then, turn it off before retiring for the night. :rolleyes: :)

Win2Win
8th July 2005, 19:08
I don't sleep if mine is switched off :yikes: Switching a computer on/off damages it.

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 19:10
Once a day at 10pm then, turn it off before retiring for the night. :rolleyes: :)

I promise to try :wink

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 19:11
I don't sleep if mine is switched off :yikes: Switching a computer on/off damages it.

Why?

Isn't it going to overheat if it's left on?

sparkyminer
8th July 2005, 19:12
Why?

Isn't it going to overheat if it's left on?
Does it overheat all day? No.
Why should it overheat at night? :)

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 19:16
Because i'm asleep :)

sparkyminer
8th July 2005, 19:18
Obviously. :rolleyes: Ooo

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 19:28
I mean, if it set on fire when i was awake i could do something about it. If i was asleep it might be too late cause it's 20 foot away from the nearest smoke alarm.
I know it sounds bit paranoid, but i've been funny about fire since i almost burnt my mum and dads house down (twice) when i was a kid. Now i'm really over the top about potential fire hazards and everything has to be switched off, I don't even like Mr FN's electric alarm clock on but i've begrudgingly learned to live with it. It's been sitting in the corner of the room bothering me, so I put a smoke alarm above it :rolleyes:

GlosRFC
8th July 2005, 19:32
Constantly turning your PC on and off causes most stress to moving parts such as the disk drives, floppy drives (even without a disk inserted), fans, etc. Mine is probably only turned off twice a month

The only thing I do turn off is the monitor as, if anything's going to overheat, it's likely to be that.

No doubt I'll have Greenpeace on my case now.

Account currently £61 and rising!! Ooo

tophatter
8th July 2005, 19:33
The only time I turn mine off is when Im not on the forum! So that is not very often! :)

flaming norah
8th July 2005, 19:38
Oh bugger i'm always switching mine on and off, no wonder it hates me!!
I could always get another smoke alarm, just in case. But then Mr FN would blow his top, we've got that many now when I burn tea (a lot) it sounds like the four minute warning :D

Win2Win
8th July 2005, 19:43
Think of an aircraft. On the ground it's warm so the metal is flexible. At 35,000ft it's -60deg, and the metal is stiff. Then you land, it's soft, take-off........do this a few thousand times and metal fatigue sets in, the plane breaks up in mid air. This is what happens when you keep heating up & cooling down your computer.