PDA

View Full Version : PC Abroad

davidsteel
18th July 2005, 21:37
Question for the computer literate of the forum..

I'm going abroad won't mention where although suffice to say its in Europe , i would after thought like to take my laptop away to do the pro losers etc is there A way i can do this for say a two week period without hellish costs.

Cheers

David

mathare
18th July 2005, 21:47
Can't you just stick it in your suitcase? It's not like it needs it's own seat on the plane is it? :doh

sparkyminer
18th July 2005, 21:48
I'm going abroad won't mention where although suffice to say its in Europe ,

Are you a secret agent or summat? :doh :D

samantha1303
18th July 2005, 21:51
You would be best contacting the place where you are staying and asking if they have an internet connection in the room.
Most places now have internet cafes, and this would be the better option I should think.

davidsteel
18th July 2005, 21:58
Ok, very good , not a secret agent although don't tell the wife!!

however it was a serious question!

GlosRFC
19th July 2005, 00:50
Shouldn't be a problem but you'll have to bear in mind the following:

1. Voltage rates are different overseas and the plugs are different too. So as a minimum you'll need an adaptor. The voltage shouldn't be too much of an issue as most PSU's can handle a range of voltages - this range is usually displayed on a plate somewhere on the base of the laptop, e.g. 210~240 volt or 110~240 volt.

2. If you're connecting from your hotel room, the bill will be outrageously high so you should look at alternatives. Even connecting via a mobile will be cheaper.

3. Inconvenience. You have to lug the laptop around, secure it if you decide to leave it in your hotel room, otherwise you have to make sure you don't spill chianti and paella all over it in some beachside restaurant. Airlines will also want to check it out for security and have you considered if it will be insured should it get stolen or damaged abroad?

Sams idea is best. Find an internet cafe nearby as it will be cheaper safer and more convenient.

silax
19th July 2005, 01:12
yep i'm in spain and have checked this out to connect to g3 via a laptop really needs a contract which is out as far as your concerned.
but ring up vodaphone and if you have a uk contract they may be able to extend it to europe or just use the internet cafes

davidsteel
19th July 2005, 05:51
Internet cafe out as the nearest is 45 mins away, the missus won't be best pleased me chugging off there everyday, we have a small property in the SW of France , so won't need to lug it around , but don't really won't to set up a link in France because were not there for most of the year( to busy working to pay for it), so just wanted something to use on a ad hoc basis.

Anyway thanks for all your help , any more suggestions would be gratefully received.

David

bigcumba
19th July 2005, 07:28
the missus won't be best pleased me chugging off

My wife doesn't like me doing too much of that either :yikes: :D

What about AOL - you can connect to them worldwide at local costs?

Win2Win
19th July 2005, 09:24
I always use the hotels connection. Not always cheap, but the bets pay for it anyway.

Places like McDonalds, Starbucks, offer free access if you buy something....coffee is enough.

davidsteel
19th July 2005, 13:15
can't i connect using my mobile (vodafone) to the internet?

mathare
19th July 2005, 13:17
If your PC and mobile phone have bluetooth you should be able to dial in to an ISP and connect that way. I think.

stevesouth
19th July 2005, 13:19
can't i connect using my mobile (vodafone) to the internet?

Vodafone offer a mobile connect service - I presume your mobile workds where you stay in France ??

davidsteel
20th July 2005, 06:10
Yeah i am with vodafone just called them said there is a pay as u go system that i can use , so trotted of to a vodafone shop only to be told that i would need to enter into another 12 month contract costing me more , don't want to do that as i only want to use it now and again..

Win2Win
20th July 2005, 09:34
You can connect via your mobile but it will cost you £1/minute