PDA

View Full Version : betfair

wb
3rd October 2005, 23:06
anyone back or lay in the place market on betfair?

I have not used it, but was thinking of giving it a go on one or two selections. Anyone made/lost money on it?

MattR
4th October 2005, 00:08
Not tried it myself but I'm sure there was a thread onhere a while back where somebody (forget who) was trying it as a system or something like that.

Profit Seeker
4th October 2005, 01:05
I back the place alot more than I do the win.

Jonny2621
4th October 2005, 08:26
anyone back or lay in the place market on betfair?

I have not used it, but was thinking of giving it a go on one or two selections. Anyone made/lost money on it?

Do you mean laying the pro losers to place or backing the systems bets to place ?

I think someone tried place laying the pro losers a while back, have a search for it.

I use the place market a fair bit for short priced lays, but i find the liquidity poor on many races and it usually doesnt get going til a few minutes before the off, Betdaq is even worse ive found.

good luck
Jon

Win2Win
4th October 2005, 08:42
I think someone tried place laying the pro losers a while back, have a search for it.It failed, which is what would happen, as they are not designed for Place.

I use place, as it is better value than the Tote, but only for horses I know statistically will be placed & profitable long term. I use the 10y results on Raceform to get this info.

wb
4th October 2005, 12:11
thanks,

No I dont mean using it for the pro- lays or anything.

was just wondering if there was any value to be had instead of backing each way with a bookie.

may try one or two today

Profit Seeker
4th October 2005, 12:17
It failed, which is what would happen, as they are not designed for Place.

I use place, as it is better value than the Tote, but only for horses I know statistically will be placed & profitable long term. I use the 10y results on Raceform to get this info.

Do you have any successful place systems other than that?

andyp
4th October 2005, 13:31
That is a coincidence wbailey, i was just about to ask this question. I am currently working on a place system (only 2 weeks old) and all the selections have been placed bar one, with 2 winners.

So does anybody know if it is better to bet each way on horses at the bookies or weather Betfair is more profitable?

mathare
4th October 2005, 13:47
That is a coincidence wbailey, i was just about to ask this question. I am currently working on a place system (only 2 weeks old) and all the selections have been placed bar one, with 2 winners.

So does anybody know if it is better to bet each way on horses at the bookies or weather Betfair is more profitable?I'm guessing by the stats you have given that Betfair is best for this system. You have only had 2 winners in 2 weeks which means that for all bar 2 selections you have lost the win part of an each-way bet if you go each-way with a bookmaker. Bookies love e-w bettors as many of them treat this as a way to get place bets on and treat the win part of the bet as a nice bonus if it goes in. In effect they are throwing away one bet per selection. With a place market you don't have this problem. You are betting the horse will place and don't care if it wins or not.

Oldham has something that compares bookies prices with Betfair place odds and indicates which is best for a multitude of prices. If he sees this he will surely post his link. Or you could do a search on Oldham's posts including the word place maybe

andyp
4th October 2005, 13:51
Cheers Mat, looks like it will be Betfair for me when i start betting with money for this system!

sportingprofit
4th October 2005, 13:51
I use the place market for most of my laying on betfair. Seem to get higher returns than I do on the win only and an average strike rate of 75%, has become very profitable.

Turned £100 into £2,000 in 3 months, then lost £1000 of it in the next month using a very high 5% of bank staking plan.

Have now reduced stakes to 2.5% and is growing steadily.

Win2Win
4th October 2005, 14:43
Do you have any successful place systems other than that?
Not yet. This on makes 25X the cost of Raceform on it's own per month.

Profit Seeker
4th October 2005, 15:15
I've thought of an idea maybe worth trying, thought there's no set rules, it's down to your own judgement.

The amount of times I see the horse with the shortest in running price say from 1.01 upto around 3 and sometimes bigger, depends on it's relation to the rest of the fields prices available, and has been sitting at this price for around a ball park time of 10 to 30 seconds, will nearly always suddenly be offered at a much bigger price, briefly giving the impression that it's chances are scuppered, only for it to suddenly go back to 1.5 or simmilar and goes onto win. Just though it might be worth spotting these and asking for a big price and see how things go.