PDA

View Full Version : Hurdles

andyp
5th October 2005, 10:12
I was just wondering if anybody had any pointers into what makes a good hurdling horse. What criteria usually fits a winning hurdling horse. i.e age, weight, jockey etc

Thanks

vegyjones
5th October 2005, 10:23
Colin Jackson was a good hurdler!

:)

Win2Win
5th October 2005, 10:24
Four legs

vegyjones
5th October 2005, 10:27
A horse that can jump is a good place to start! :)

mathare
I was just wondering if anybody had any pointers into what makes a good hurdling horse.Pointers are dogs and as such make rubbish hurdling horses. The Pointer Sisters would also make lousy hurdling horses.

Hope that helps :)

vegyjones
All these FREE help and tips...

That is why people keep coming back to this forum!!! :D

andyp
5th October 2005, 10:28
thanks guys, i think i have got myself a new system.........

Back any four legged horse, that can jump with Colin Jackson on board! :rolleyes:

vegyjones
5th October 2005, 10:29
I'll be following this system andy! :D

andyp
5th October 2005, 10:30
I bet we dont have a losing horse!

andyp
5th October 2005, 16:43
Seriously, does anyone have any hints or tips for a horses criteria to make a good hurdling horse?

Profit Seeker
5th October 2005, 17:12
A well behaved one who eats all his oats :doh

Onlyforfun
5th October 2005, 17:22
A Group winner on the flat over 2m+ is usually a good start if the trainer is clued up. Helps if they like a bit of give in the ground.

Win2Win
5th October 2005, 18:03
A Group winner on the flat over 2m+ is usually a good start if the trainer is clued up. Helps if they like a bit of give in the ground.
Apart from the last 3 which all lost :(

davidsteel
5th October 2005, 19:37

Give me a NH bred horse any day..

MarcusMel
5th October 2005, 19:39
I will see if I can knock up a hurdles system soon. :yikes:

GlosRFC
5th October 2005, 19:40
I've noticed that it usually works best if you look at it from the opposite angle, i.e. what hurdles horse would make a good flat horse. I think I've mentioned this before but there seems to be a number of horses each year that, in their first few sprints, are beaten easily. The wily trainer will next enter it into a few hurdles races which again it loses but performs with credit. At this point it's entered into a longer distance flat race (over 1¼ miles) which it then wins by romping clear, usually at odds in excess of 20/1.

I don't know why it works - maybe it's the change of schedule, maybe the horse thinks "bugger jumping over obstacles, I'd better show willing next time out", or some other reason - but work it seems to do.

Win2Win
5th October 2005, 20:25
Ex Sir Mark horses always seem to go well over hurdles.

davidsteel
5th October 2005, 20:34

True and Richard Fahey but can't think of any group horses..

Onlyforfun
5th October 2005, 20:34

Shhhhhhhhh, don't tell everyone or they'll all want one! ;fire