PDA

View Full Version : any traders out there?

wb
21st October 2005, 16:46
Is there any money to be made in manual trading?

I asked about trading here before, and got great advice but decided to leave it for a while. In the meantime, I was going to set up a small 'fun' trading account (not using software or anything) just to give me an idea of how the market moves.

I saw a few races today that I could have traded on and made a (very) small profit.

Is there any point in trading without software?

again, it would only be for fun/learning and would be a very small bank.

thanks,

wayne

presto
21st October 2005, 16:50
the problem with manual trading is - it is much slower than using software, so you may miss out on placing bet's.

there is free software out there that will let you trade quicker - so you may aswell use it.
- it is just the same as manual trading, but quicker.

wb
21st October 2005, 16:53
the problem with manual trading is - it is much slower than using software, so you may miss out on placing bet's.

there is free software out there that will let you trade quicker - so you may aswell use it.
- it is just the same as manual trading, but quicker.

where do i get it? google?

as I say, its only with a small bank for learning purposes.

presto
21st October 2005, 17:32
bet angel offer a free one - just do a search.

wb
21st October 2005, 17:39

cheers presto. thanks for that. will give it a go

MattR
21st October 2005, 17:47

I thought he used to play for Southend and Everton :D

Roberto
21st October 2005, 18:40
Hi Wayne,

Is there any money to be made in manual trading?
Yes.

I was going to set up a small 'fun' trading account (not using software or anything)
IMHO (I trade for a living - derivatives, not horses!) learning it without software is the only way to try to understand it. How much this applies to the horses I can't say for sure, but there are certainly some very strong similarities in the structure and activities of the markets.

just to give me an idea of how the market moves.
Exactly.

Is there any point in trading without software?
IMHO yes.

An excellent book on this subject (strongly geared towards the Betfair user) is "Lay, Back and Think of Winning" by Nigel Paul, readily available in paperback.

wb
21st October 2005, 19:30
Hi Wayne,

Yes.

IMHO (I trade for a living - derivatives, not horses!) learning it without software is the only way to try to understand it. How much this applies to the horses I can't say for sure, but there are certainly some very strong similarities in the structure and activities of the markets.

Exactly.

IMHO yes.

An excellent book on this subject (strongly geared towards the Betfair user) is "Lay, Back and Think of Winning" by Nigel Paul, readily available in paperback.

Cheers Roberto, thanks for the adivce. one question - what does imho mean?

that book came up before in a thread i started, mathare thought it was good, but presto did not rate it at all. I may get it after a couple of weeks and see what its like, at the moment im waiting on the RP guide to betting exchanges form amazon

Roberto
21st October 2005, 20:31
what does imho mean?
In my horrendous opinion, or something ... :doh

mathare thought it was good, but presto did not rate it at all.
I rest my case. :)