PDA

View Full Version : Here's one for Glos

Win2Win
24th October 2005, 21:20
I've been building & upgrading systems since the year zip.....I bought two AMD 754 boards last week, and 2x 2600+ 64bit processors. All the hardware is sound, all checked, but XP home/pro does not work. It loads OK, but as soon as you do something heavy I get the BSOD 'Non executable memory attempted'.

This is one both systems I upgraded with completely different hardware :doh

I have all the correct drivers, as I ended up trying clean installs on both, same BSOD.

Works fine in DOS, Safe Mode & WIN 64, just doesn't like XP. Tried EVERY setting in the BIOS, even another make of board, same BSOD. Both boards different systems & BIOS, Nvidia & a VIA.

My dual processor AMD 4400+, and my backup 3000+, both 64bit, work fine on XP.

Never used 754 before, and won't again, but can't find bugger all on the web. Very annoying, now have 2 redundant board/chips.

GlosRFC
24th October 2005, 22:07
Nearly asked you to rebuild mine for me after the debacle this weekend :yikes:

I presume you've checked the Data Execution Prevention module that comes with XP SP 2? The error message you're getting usually means that something is trying to access non-executable memory and SP 2 now enables it by default. Most newer processors also do the same thing. Try going into Control Panel, System, Performance, Data Execution Prevention and playing with the settings there. You might have to turn it off and see if that makes any difference.

It could also be a conflict between your hardware and the DEP settings. You can try looking on the AMD site to see if they've got a DEP-compatible update for your new boards, or maybe they weren't DEP-compatible to begin with?

GlosRFC
24th October 2005, 22:12
Not sure if this provides anything useful or not, but it strikes me that it can't be coincidental that you're using XP and AMD and having problems with non-executable memory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit#Windows

Win2Win
25th October 2005, 09:18
Thanks Glos, it's a problem I'd never come across before. I'll have a dabble with the DEP this weekend, as it is defo software related, and something to do with XP.

I even loaded up ME, worked fine, upgraded to XP without any service packs, and it still didn't work :(

I like this bit on that link "Microsoft's own .NET Runtime had problems with the NX bit and was updated." says it all about MS doesn't it :)