PDA

View Full Version : 'Wiping' a pc question

wb
24th October 2005, 22:11
I got an old pc from a mate, just to have a spare. the problem is, all his old files, favourites etc are still on it.
Is there any way to 'wipe' it and set up my own stuff on it, or do i have to delete each file as i go along

any replies, please bear in mind that i have only a basic knowledge of computers.

thanks in advance,

Wayne

presto
24th October 2005, 22:13
format the hard drive.
if something goes wrong, i never told you to do it though :)

wb
24th October 2005, 22:17
format the hard drive.
if something goes wrong, i never told you to do it though :)

its only an old pc, so i dont really care if I mess up.

excuse my ignorance here, but how do you format a pc?

GlosRFC
24th October 2005, 22:19
Easy way is (those of a nervous disposition should look away now):

Boot up using a floppy disk and then type in the command FORMAT C:
This will erase the File Allocation Table and also prepare the HD to accept the new operating system. If you type FORMAT C: /S it will copy the OS over for you.

** Don't try the above at home unless you want to say goodbye to all your data **

You can try the same from a DOS prompt window in Windows but it might stall part-way through.

If you're thinking of using Windows XP just do a clean install as that will erase all previous files.

If you just want to keep the existing OS such as Win98, uninstall the programs you don't want from Control Panel and then open My Computer and delete each of the directories you don't want. You'll still have a load of rubbish from poorly installed programs in your Windows directory though, and your registry won't be as clean as you'd like it.

Finally, stroking the case of your hard disk with an industrial-strength magnet will remove pretty much every piece of data from the disk...and also pick up any loose bits of swarf that might be lingering in your PC case at the same time.

Profit Seeker
25th October 2005, 08:46
:yikes: Doesn't the magnet thing shag your pc? And about the registry clutter, don't you recommend any of the free registry cleaners out there?