PDA

View Full Version : SP's question

wb
12th November 2005, 14:15
How exactly is the SP decided.

I know that it is down to what prices are available on track (which seem to be getting closer to betfair all the time).

Lets say there were 8 bookies on track, and four of them offered horse A at 10/1 and four of them offered 12/1. Does this mean that the SP would be around 11/1??
Is there an independent body that monitors the prices and then gives and 'average' official sp? or how exactly does it work.

thanks.

Wayne

bigcumba
12th November 2005, 14:16
I think it's whatever the bookies think they can get away with!

mathare
12th November 2005, 14:21
I was reading about this the other day, let me go and get me book....

The principles for returning an SP are:

1) SP is generally the price available at the off to good money
2) The sample of on-course bookies (usally 12) will only include those willing to lay a decent sized bet in the context of the given market
3) All bookies in the sample have equal weighting. Rails bookies should be included but not more than 2 of the major off-course outfits shall be included
4) If more than 2/3 of the sample agree that's the SP, otherwise "generally available" is defined as being offered by 1/3 of the sampled bookies
5) Close calls are settled in favour of the punter

wb
12th November 2005, 14:33
thanks mathare, that makes sense.

just one thing, who samples the books for the prices? Is there some sort of independent crowd at each track doing this?

mathare
12th November 2005, 14:36
They used to have 2 blokes per course working on behalf of the SP Executive (Trinity Mirror Group and Press Association I think, with SIS acting as observer) collecting prices but now I think it is done by computer.

markwales
12th November 2005, 14:42
I know that it is down to what prices are available on track (which seem to be getting closer to betfair all the time).

All the on course bookies have a laptop running Betfair now. I was at lowly Towcester the other week, and EVERY bookie was trading on Betfair as well as on course. This surely is one of the reasons the prices are a lot closer.

Was quite funny trying to get a glimpse of their Betfair balances :D

mathare
12th November 2005, 14:54
All the on course bookies have a laptop running Betfair now. I was at lowly Towcester the other week, and EVERY bookie was trading on Betfair as well as on course. This surely is one of the reasons the prices are a lot closer.It was the same at Sandown when I was there in the summer. I couldn't believe when I first saw it but it makes sense

Makes you wonder how many bookies have actually become traders at the big meetings though

presto
12th November 2005, 14:54
i remember a while ago the big 3 were going mad about the new way SP was calculated.

they were saying that because the on-course bookies were laying off on betfair, they could take larger bet's at larger prices. so they could advertise larger odd's. - this meant the SP was larger as the on course bookies could run to a smaller overound.

and as the prices of the on course bookies were larger the SP were calculated larger. as you could imagine the big 3 didn't like this one bit as there profit was being cut.

so they wanted to introduce 'industry prices' - or SP to a high overound book chosen by the big 3 not a selection of on course bookies. - i still hear a bit of noise on 'industry prices' every now and again, but nothing has happened so far.

Win2Win
12th November 2005, 15:11
That's why the 2-4-6 struggled due to the squeeze by the bookies laying off.

Profit Seeker
13th November 2005, 10:33
When you say "laying off" does this mean they take advantage of being able to lay at SP and then back at a bigger price on betfair? So really laying off is actually backing off? :doh

Win2Win
13th November 2005, 11:16
Yes & no. Bookmakers are layers, so they layoff some of the risk.

icebreaker
13th November 2005, 11:43
Last week, both Will Hills and Fred Done (among other high street bookmakers) have made a corporate decision to lay-off their risks on the exchanges rather than in the on-course market. The day of "industry prices" gets nearer.

Profit Seeker
13th November 2005, 11:47
With prices shortening, it can only help us layers.

Win2Win
13th November 2005, 11:49
Industry prices wouldn't bother me :) I always shop around for the best available, and they'd only lose business on the Interent to a higher % take, although this means Joe Punter in the bookies getting screwed.