PDA

View Full Version : Execl help (again!)

wb
5th January 2006, 14:21
As mentioned in an earlier post, I am tidying up some records, and am wondering how to do 2 things:

1. Column A contains the stake, Column B contains the price, and Column C contains W/L (won or lost)

How do I get column D to contain the result.
i.e. if a cell in column C contains W (won) I want the spreadsheet to multiply the corresponding cells in column A and B (stake and price), but if the cell in Column C contains L (lost) I want the figure in column D to be a minus.

Hope I explained this ok.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Column A contains the horse name, column B contains the 'type' of bet. (for example A or B bet etc.)

I want to to 'sort' them so that if a horse has 'A' beside it, it will be sorted together in a new Column, likewise with the B bets

Hope this makes sense.

Any takers?
Good rep offered :)

mathare
5th January 2006, 14:26
OK.

1)

In column D enter

=if(C1="W",A1*B1,-A1)

That means if C1 is W then D1=A1*B1 (you may need to use A1*(B1-1) if you have Betfair prices and want profit instead of return), else D1=-A1 ie you lose the stake

2) Not sure what you're getting at here. You could use an IF again so...

=if(B1="A",A1,"")

That means if B1 is A then the cell in which you entered the formula will be populated with the name of the horse from A1. You can create similar formulae then for B bets etc.

And a handy tip for both of these:

Use the ISBLANK function to neaten things up. For example

=if(isblank(B1),"",if(B1="A",A1,""))

Then the formula is only applied if cell B1 is not blank

wb
5th January 2006, 14:39
ok mat, first part worked great, going to try part 2 now :)

wb
5th January 2006, 15:55
Ok mat, sorted it out thanks a million! :)

One more question :yikes: :yikes: :peeky

column A has a list of figures in it, (profit or loss on each selection) This list gets added to daily.

I want to display the result of all the figures in Column A, in Cell B1.

I Can't do a simple auto calc sum, because I Column A keeps getting bigger.

Is there any way of adding every number in column A, despite its size, and will allow more figures to be added to it?

wb
5th January 2006, 16:05
In other words, I need the sum of an entire column, no matter how long it is.

mathare
5th January 2006, 16:05
In other words, I need the sum of an entire column, no matter how long it is.=SUM(A:A) :)

wb
5th January 2006, 16:12
Fantastic. That worked perfect. I'm much indebted to you for all the help. Got all my spreadsheets tidyied (or is it tidyed, - how do you spell it :( )

Thanks a million

mathare
5th January 2006, 16:13
Fantastic. That worked perfect. I'm much indebted to you for all the help. Got all my spreadsheets tidyied (or is it tidyed, - how do you spell it :( )Tidied :)

vegyjones
5th January 2006, 16:28
Thai Deed