PDA

View Full Version : Posting links to zip files on forums

mathare
11th February 2006, 20:23
I have a zipped spreadsheet that I would like to post a link to on the Racing Sim forum. But how do I get the link to a zip file and what naming conventions do I need to obey?

My zip file is called "Racing Sim - Trainer.zip" and I have ftp'd a copy into a folder called RacingSim on my personal webspace (mathare.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk)

I'd like a link that users just have to click and that then brings up the open/save dialog box

bigcumba
11th February 2006, 20:32
I imagine it would be like this -

www.mathare.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/racingsim/ (http://www.mathare.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/racingsim/)Racing Sim - Trainer.zip

assuming your webspace actually starts with the "www". I think you'll need to rename the file though to take out the spaces - I don't think the link would work otherwise though I may be wrong!

mathare
11th February 2006, 20:49
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the space and the dash but I'll give that sort of thing a go.

Cheers BigC

mathare
11th February 2006, 20:58
Cracked it :)

I think there may have been some upper case/lower case issues that it was sulking about too so I put in all in lower case after stripping out spaces and other non-alphabetical characters

TheOldhamWhisper
11th February 2006, 21:11
If you have spaces in a filename, use %20 when posting the link eg Racing%20Sim%20-%20Trainer.zip

bigcumba
11th February 2006, 21:27
If you have spaces in a filename, use %20 when posting the link eg Racing%20Sim%20-%20Trainer.zip

I knew there had to be a way around it - and that someone would have an answer pretty quick :)