PDA

View Full Version : I should know this by now... (No. 8 or 9 - not sure)

wb
23rd March 2006, 01:50
Racing Post Ratings.

How does it work?

In a non-handicap, in theory, the OR is a better indication of a hores ability, because he does not have weight added factor.
But in the RP, when it comes to handicap racing, does the RP rating factor in the weight changes and then give a rating, or is it simply a rating which ignores the weight thing.

Hope this makes sense as I have drank a bottle of wine and a couple of cans :yikes:

wb
23rd March 2006, 11:21
Ok, that was explained completely arseways as I had a few on me.

What I wan't to know is:

Are the RP ratings indefferent to whether the race is a handicap?

Is it a numerical guide to the horses ability in that particular race with all factors including weight considered.

OR is is a general rating, in which the weight factor must still be taken into consideration after reading it?

mathare
23rd March 2006, 11:32
From the RP site:

"RP Ratings is Racing Post's private handicapper's assessment of each horse's winning chance, the higher the rating the better the chance. RP Ratings are based on horses' collateral form. The ratings to the left of the horse name are adjusted to 10st (12st jumps), with allowance for weight-for-age, in order to account for the fact that the horses may be set to carry different weights.

The adjusted Topspeed figure is shown for the convenience of those form students who consider a horse's time performances a valuable alternative guide to a horse's merit.

Adjusted RP Ratings are not calculated by our handicappers until the evening before race day."

wb
23rd March 2006, 11:35
Good stuff. Thanks mat