PDA

View Full Version : Show us your local..

wb
30th March 2006, 01:03
This is where I spend a lot of time...

http://www.maryhanafin.ie/igoinn.jpg

Fadetoblack
30th March 2006, 01:20
Christ look at the state of it. (Christ you here? Oops, think he's logged out.) I really don't have a local but here are some bars in my area.

I DJ here (http://www.masons.ie/index.asp)twice a week

and

Here (http://www.revolutionwaterford.com/) every odd week.

I drink in every other bar in the town.

wb
30th March 2006, 01:24
I was in Revolution about 6 Months ago. Very good :)

It is entirely possible that I heard you dj

wb
30th March 2006, 01:25
Darren Beaver singing Fit but you dont know it

Is this your pseudonym?

Fadetoblack
30th March 2006, 01:32
Darren Beaver...now that's a name. But eh no. I take no part in Karaokes unless I'm in a different country/county

silax
30th March 2006, 07:05
i'll try and get a battery for my digi and take one of perverts corner where i have been known to sit with my mate for hours drinking coffee. its not a bar as such more of a cafe but my favourite table is about 2 mters from a zebra crossing and you get all the spanish girls asses staring at your face for about 10 minutes waiting for the lights to change

markwales
30th March 2006, 07:37
The Maltsters Arms

I spent pretty much all of my free time between the ages of 17 and 27 in this place!

Each night after work for a couple, then I'd be back there after dinner!!.... If a pub crawl was on the cards we'd start and finish here.

Spent many a happy night in there, and still go back there when I get home to Wales. Sometimes I go there before I actually get to the parents house :laugh

Win2Win
30th March 2006, 08:40
i'll try and get a battery for my digi and take one of perverts corner where i have been known to sit with my mate for hours drinking coffee. its not a bar as such more of a cafe but my favourite table is about 2 mters from a zebra crossing and you get all the spanish girls asses staring at your face for about 10 minutes waiting for the lights to change
Strange, I have a similar hobby when in Singapore :icon_tong :geek

peza2605
30th March 2006, 18:16

i think ive managed to get the photo on??

anyway my local where ive also worked. ok if you fancy a quiet pint.

peza2605
30th March 2006, 18:24

but this is my PROPER local, the talisman in wythenshawe, manchester.

Win2Win
30th March 2006, 18:52
This is my local....always open......warm....welcoming....and moist Ooo

wb
30th March 2006, 19:24

but this is my PROPER local, the talisman in wythenshawe, manchester.

Was that pub on Britain's Toughest pubs by any chance?

wb
30th March 2006, 19:34
By the way, In the picture that I posted, you can see chimney stacks to the right of the pub. These are from my old house. I lived in between the pub and the bookies, with the off licence 2 doors down. Bad combination.

presto
30th March 2006, 19:38
my local:

been there about 3 times, - i live in a small village and non of my friend's live nearby - so going into preston is the norm.

the last time i went was about 5 years ago for a mates 18th. me and my mates got chucked out and the mad bitch of a landlady put a knife to my face - saying i smashed a few windows the week before. all complete nonsense as i never go near the place.

- for some reason this happens quite often.

Street cry
30th March 2006, 19:59
Prefer Keiths local so far

Fadetoblack
30th March 2006, 20:00
The Maltsters Arms

I spent pretty much all of my free time between the ages of 17 and 27 in this place!

Each night after work for a couple, then I'd be back there after dinner!!.... If a pub crawl was on the cards we'd start and finish here.

Spent many a happy night in there, and still go back there when I get home to Wales. Sometimes I go there before I actually get to the parents house :laugh

I really think I'm slowly but surely developing dyslexia. I read and re-read that for the whole day as The Malteasers Arms.

vegyjones
30th March 2006, 20:13
I love my local...

Don't get many women visitors though :doh

samantha1303
30th March 2006, 20:14
Prefer Keiths local so far

mmmmm we all know he made that up though.

My local - what does this mean exactly?
Is it the pub closest to you house?

wb
30th March 2006, 20:25
mmmmm we all know he made that up though.

My local - what does this mean exactly?
Is it the pub closest to you house?

Yeah, your local pub, the one 'where everybody knows your name..' type of pub.

samantha1303
30th March 2006, 20:32
In Leeds though that isn't the one closest to your house

susanwells
30th March 2006, 21:21
This is where we go most often for a quiet and superb pub meal..lovely pub, great food.. and I am told the ale brewed by a small brewer 5 miles away is great...:hearty

wb
30th March 2006, 21:30
There is just something lovely about them English country pubs. I really love going to them.

frontrunner
30th March 2006, 23:49
Please see next message

frontrunner
30th March 2006, 23:52
Here is my local it's The White Lion in W-O-T It's a great place.

weldgen.tripod.com/bristolinns/id3.html

Frontrunner
:spinning

samantha1303
31st March 2006, 08:12
This was the one closest to my house,but it closed.
http://www.leedstoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=39&ArticleID=1390135

samantha1303
31st March 2006, 08:17
This is the closest one now
http://www.leedstoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=39&ArticleID=1246205

Onlyforfun
31st March 2006, 10:13
Not my "local" (its a chav domiated hovel next to the railway station, look snice, but...), but the one I do most of my (non bird related) drinking in. In addition to the description below, it has a TV at either end of the bar allowing you to watch 2 sporting events simultaneously, no matter how busy it is you get served within 2 minutes and it has both K1664 and Stella! Best comment I've seen about it is:

"Been using this place for over twenty years as one of the retarded beer guts that congregate at the end of the bar and would like to apologise if talking in group with your friends is seen as cliquey but as they say that is the way with a local pub rather than the soulless alcopop warehouses that seem to fill most main streets. It does not have Karaoke or quiz nights or a childrens bar,thank god, it also does not have a drug problem,violence or bouncers, in short an old fashioned pub."

http://www.fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/pub1662.html

Onlyforfun
31st March 2006, 10:22
Funnily enough, I can't find anything much about my favourite pub though, the Auldhouse Arms near East Kilbride. Its about a 6 mile walk through the country park from my Mums house, and as we usually end up walking there in the snow / rain / both, the 2 roaring log fires and frankly excellent beers are well worth the taxi ride home (you could walk back, but the lure of the warmth and beer always prove too much.)

Only problem I've had is that one of the barstaff obviously knows me and greeted me by name the first time I went in, but I have absolutely zero clue who they are!

wb
31st March 2006, 10:29
OFF, did you ever go to that Rangers pub that was featured on Britains toughest pubs? I think it was called 'the bunker' or something like that.
I looked like the maddest place I have ever seen, with no windows etc.
I was dying to go in, and have a look around, but that probrally would not have been a good idea :)

bigcumba
31st March 2006, 10:31
I wouldn't post a pic of my local here... been in it once in over 8 years... that was enough!

back in Airdrie though there were a couple of pubs I was a regular in... to the point of being offered a tab in one because I turned up one day ordered a pint and realised I'd forgot to go to the bank first - got called Norm (Cheers) for that... :) The attached pic is that pub - the Staging Post , and the link is to the Cellar Bar.... the guy who runs it now used to be the owner of the 'Post'.

http://www.airdriecellarbar.co.uk/

If you're a whisky drinker, check out the whisky list.... and drool... :D

Must admit this is making me feel rather homesick.... :(

bigcumba
31st March 2006, 10:32
I was dying to go in, and have a look around, but that probrally would not have been a good idea :)

I'm sure if you ask nicely we'll teach you the words of 'The Sash' so you fit in... :wink

wb
31st March 2006, 10:34
That's one hell of a whisky list big C. Looks like my kind of place. If I drank there, I would try a different one every time I was in, until I went through the list.

wb
31st March 2006, 10:35
I'm sure if you ask nicely we'll teach you the words of 'The Sash' so you fit in... :wink

:laugh

Funny Enough, I actually know the words, as my great-grandfather was an Orangeman :yikes:

bigcumba
31st March 2006, 10:39
That's one hell of a whisky list big C. Looks like my kind of place. If I drank there, I would try a different one every time I was in, until I went through the list.

Funny thing is I'm not a whisky drinker, but they always had good real ale on tap, no jukebox, and just a great atmosphere in a nice wee pub. The guy who ran it before George was a good bloke, and George was always a friendly sort as well, so the pub is in good hands...

as for your 'Orange' ancestors.... I'm sure there's a lot of that sort of skeleton in many a family cupboard all over Ireland!

wb
31st March 2006, 10:53
as for your 'Orange' ancestors.... I'm sure there's a lot of that sort of skeleton in many a family cupboard all over Ireland!

True!

Although, raised as Catholic, my late father came from a Protestant background, and loved nothing more than annoying everyone in our local bar singing 'The Oul Orange flute' and 'The Sash'........ While Celtic were playing :yikes:

At the time, I would be mortified, but looking back I think it is funny

samantha1303
31st March 2006, 11:30
I wouldn't post a pic of my local here... been in it once in over 8 years... that was enough!

It can't possibly be any worse than the two nearest me

Onlyforfun
31st March 2006, 11:34
Never went into that bar WB, but walked past it on the way to and from a summer job every day for 10 weeks. Lots of pubs in Scotland have no windows as like bookies, it was illegal to allow the interior to be seen from the street in case you corrupt "innocent" ladies and children.

The pub I did a lot of my early drinking in had a public bar where I doubt a woman other than the barmaids had set foot in since it was built (until I made a fateful mistake of taking a girlfriend in. Never, never, never do that.) The type of pub with several dogs in it as the only possible escape the old sods had was to "walk the dog". No windows, linoleum, even two dart boards, remember the days when you got them in pubs instead of the cash cows that are fruit machines. Then they spoiled it by "doing it up". That meant adding a wee conservatory to a frankly hideous concrete box covered in rough cast.

This thread has made me realise just how much effect pubs have had on my life, I reckon I could write 10000 words without too much difficulty, especially lamenting the changes to some of my favourites.

ScotsDave
31st March 2006, 12:02
Funnily enough, I can't find anything much about my favourite pub though, the Auldhouse Arms near East Kilbride. Its about a 6 mile walk through the country park from my Mums house, and as we usually end up walking there in the snow / rain / both, the 2 roaring log fires and frankly excellent beers are well worth the taxi ride home (you could walk back, but the lure of the warmth and beer always prove too much.)

Only problem I've had is that one of the barstaff obviously knows me and greeted me by name the first time I went in, but I have absolutely zero clue who they are!

How mad OFF - been there many a time - first time was a lunchtime and we stood outside waiting as it looked shut - after about five minutes, old Archie (the owner) appeared from a house next door and said "What you all doing out here - the door's open, you should just have helped yourselves!" Only decent pub in East Kilbride, but I guess that's because it's not IN East Kilbride. :D

Onlyforfun
31st March 2006, 12:04
Only decent pub in East Kilbride, but I guess that's because it's not IN East Kilbride. :D

:laugh EXACTLY!

silax
31st March 2006, 12:15
i remember a bar in newcastle called the black and white i used to go to when i was 17 or 18 it used to open when the footy match was just finished (had to go through the back door) was a real mans pub and the only place you could get a pint straight after the game (when there was prohibition between 3 and 7) anyway joined air force and a few years later brought some of my mates down from raf boulmer and thought i'd show them a good old geordie bar so off we went. on getting there the name had changed to stripes no probs got the drinks and sitting looking at the decor to my horrow it was now a gay bar. lad points nil for that and street cred diminished in about 30 sec's. took me a while to live that one down.

wb
31st March 2006, 12:19
got the drinks and sitting looking at the decor to my horrow it was now a gay bar. lad points nil for that and street cred diminished in about 30 sec's. took me a while to live that one down.

:laugh

bigcumba
31st March 2006, 12:51
A few other good pubs I frequented....

Heilan Jessies in the east end of Glasgow - on the Gallowgate - that was my haunt before every gig at the Barrowlands, it's a bit of a Celtic pub, but more of a folkie pub - they used to have impromptu singalongs with guys on guitars, banjos and fiddles just turning up... great friendly wee place.

The Solid Rock Cafe - best rock pub in Glasgow, and the place to be before the big gigs at the SECC - before any AC/DC gigs the place was jumping, and they played non stop AC/DC videos and music all day...

The Saracen's Head (Sarry Heid to the locals). Supposedly the oldest pub in the city, possibly one of the roughest I've ever been in.... went on there now and again before the odd Barras gig... one time we were having a drink in there and a wee drunk old lady came over and offered to show us a trick.... she popped her glass eye out and dropped in in my mates whisky.... needless to say he didn't want it, so free drink for the old dear! It was full of characters like that!

The Bon Accord - top real ale pub, with a sign above the bog that says 'Lager fermentation room' ...

Lauders - decent pub that was our pit stop in the old days before gigs at the old Glasgow Apollo (RIP)

Blackfriars - another great pub with good food, great beer, and a potent 'real' cider on hand pump that we used to get newcomers to the pub wrecked on... for a laugh of course....

The Heathery Bar in Wishaw - through the mid 80's this was a regular Saturday outing to see gigs.... up to 14 hours boozing as we'd meet up at 12 noon, have a pint or 2 in Airdrie, then catch the bus over to Wishaw... drink there all day till the gig was due to start upstairs then up there to jump around like drunken loonies till shutting time at 2am....

wb
31st March 2006, 13:00
There are a couple of places I always go when In glasgow. In the city, I always drop into the scotia bar - good pint of Guinness in there. Before/After a match, It is usually the Brazen Head, on the southside (A MAD kip, but fun all the same). Otherwise it is one of them in gallowgate, such as bairds, bar67 etc.

bigcumba
31st March 2006, 13:22
Been in Bairds... on a match day, and survived! :D It's got some collection of Celtic memorabilia though... to be proud of if you're that way inclined! Heilan Jessies is 5 minutes walk up the hill away from the Barras - well worth a visit next time you're over Wayne!

wb
31st March 2006, 13:35
If ever you are in Edinburgh on a Sunday, drop into the Scotsman. Great folk type of bar. Good music and a good mix of locals and tourists. Nice pint too.

pilky201
31st March 2006, 15:23
Wayne if your ever travelling down towards Limerick i always stop at the Dunkerrin Arms in Moneygall just outside Nenagh, excellent food a good pint and a real friendly local crowd:)

lowe1
1st April 2006, 10:34
heres my local decent pint and good place to stay if your in liverpool alaways good on a friday afternoon as all the hollyoaks girls come in :D

www.merseypub.com/pictures/pu1.jpg

tony

vegyjones
6th July 2006, 23:36
My humour is obviously way too subtle for you lot!

No one noticed the Gay Pride flag outside the pub in the pic I posted!

It's not actually my local though, I don't go into pubs near home! :)

Win2Win
7th July 2006, 08:56
You dug up this thread....whose looking after the baby??

vegyjones
7th July 2006, 10:18
I only saw it cause I saw Presto looking in! :D

Win2Win
7th July 2006, 10:26
Presto now has an OFFICIAL Win2Win Stalker :)

GlosRFC
7th July 2006, 13:54
My local.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/sport/glosrugby/tour/kingsholm_270.jpg

Can get a bit busy on Satudays though :D

presto
7th July 2006, 14:19
I only saw it cause I saw Presto looking in! :D

i thaught it strange how as soon as i looked at it it popped up again :doh

i was going to do a 'city / town guide' - as i think we have a representative of most places on the forum. but then realised i couldn't really be bothered :rolleyes:

perhaps a thaught for the future - stuff it i will start one now :)

presto
18th September 2006, 21:52
got a new local now http://www.amberiris.co.uk/site.htm
the dart's team arn't happy though, seems there was a bit of a 'let down' in the recent league game.

shaunyp1
20th October 2006, 21:23
Check out my local at www.poacherspub.co.uk the freindliest busiest pub in the country!

Shauny Pennick.

danoneil
24th October 2006, 15:38
This is mine... it looks ok, but it hides a dark secret in the gent's loo...

matthewluck
17th March 2007, 22:57
Nursery Tavern, Ecclesall Road, Sheffield
I love this pub, there's a heated beer garden round the back with pool tables outside

[img src=http://www.rocknroll.force9.co.uk/pubs/nursery.jpg]

John
18th March 2007, 03:08
Mate, I live across the road! Still got your number (I think) so will have to meet you in there one day for some dribblage. :wiggle:

piggy
18th March 2007, 11:25
this my local

Win2Win
18th March 2007, 11:51
Is it busy because you're in it? :D

matthewluck
18th March 2007, 18:31
Mate, I live across the road! Still got your number (I think) so will have to meet you in there one day for some dribblage. :wiggle:

Yeah, sounds good. My number ends with 113, PM me if you dont have it :spinning

John
18th March 2007, 18:46
"Got YOUR number!"

118-118 :D

Win2Win
18th March 2007, 19:04
"Got YOUR number!"

118-118 :D
You need a girlfriend :wink