PDA

View Full Version : Claimers

clotty
17th April 2006, 12:28
I just wondered what a claiming jockey or horse is exactly and how do you identify them on something like Racing Post?

Cheers.

bigcumba
17th April 2006, 12:38
Claiming Race
race where the winner can be "claimed" from the yard for a set fee - the race will be a 'claiming stakes' - the 300 at Yarmouth is the only one today

Allowance
weight relief of up to 7lb awarded to an inexperienced rider - this is 'claimed' back from the weight carried and in the RP the amount claimed is in brackets after the jockey's name

clotty
17th April 2006, 12:42
Cheers, but how do you know if the horses are also claiming an allowance? Is this also an number in brackets besdie the horse?

bigcumba
17th April 2006, 12:43
The horses don't claim an allowance - only the jockeys.

Win2Win
17th April 2006, 12:47
The horse can carry a winning penalty until it is rehandicapped. IE;

076PP1 BIG C LITTLE WILLIE (5)

Would be carrying 5lb more.

bigcumba
17th April 2006, 12:51
Yep, forgot about that - I think you usually see that when a horse is back out quickly after a win, as Keith says, before the handicapper has done his bit....

Merlin
17th April 2006, 23:03
Worth adding here....that ANY HORSE can be claimed in a claimer (not just the winner)...

Its a kinda self handicapping , whereby the trainer decides the weight of the horse(within set parameters)...

The more weight the horse carries, the more expensive it it is to buy/claim...

Some trainers are very adept at placing their horses in Claimers to advantage...but generally speaking, we should leave them alone for betting purposes....probably better laying opportunities in claimers....

Win2Win
18th April 2006, 08:32
Blimey Merlin, you almost sound as though you know what you're talking about Ooo :D

Onlyforfun
18th April 2006, 10:29
Also, in a seller, the winner will be auctioned, but all the other runners can be claimed.

mathare
18th April 2006, 10:42
Also, in a seller, the winner will be auctioned, but all the other runners can be claimed.Is that right? Well, well. I knew about the winner being sold but not about other runners being claimed

John
18th April 2006, 22:46
Also, in a seller, the winner will be auctioned, but all the other runners can be claimed.

Some incentive for the Racing Sim?

mathare
19th April 2006, 10:06
Some incentive for the Racing Sim?I was wondering that too