PDA

View Full Version : javascript?

Street cry
28th June 2006, 16:07
Right longwinded but bare qith me , on my thinkpad i got the problem of a virus called ABOUTBLANK where you cant get the page you want the address just goes to the afformentioned .
I installed a programme called about blank buddy which stopped it but renderred the markets on BETDAQ unuseable although i could access my account and see p&l etc. i decided to clean up my laptop ie defrag clear out temp files etc , with my fix it utilities programme from my desktop so i did and now whenever i go on betdaq i instantly get the message from ie saying that it has encountered problems and will close and send error report or not etc . is this something to do with the javascript conflicting with something and can i fix it ? thanks in advance SC

presto
28th June 2006, 16:15
a generic answer - but:
run anti virus scan, spyware scan, clear temp internet files etc......

you could install the latest java software http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp - that may help.

Street cry
28th June 2006, 16:21
will try it mate but i have run fix it utilities which is a fully updated spyware adware virus removal programme with an incorporated wizard for jet defrags cache temp cookies and unused files short cuts removal and prior to that i had used panda activescan pro version , search and destroy , adaware and f-secure and norton so i dont know that that would helpm

GlosRFC
28th June 2006, 17:28
AboutBlank works by installing a Browser Help Object into Internet Explorer. I suspect that this still remains there, or that traces of it are contained in your registry and it's therefore still causing a conflict with Internet Explorer.

Try downloading this remover to see if it eliminates those remaining traces. The page also lists all of the various processes, registry entries, and dll files that are associated with AboutBlank so, if you're comfortable making changes, you can also do a manual search and delete.

http://www.spywareremove.com/removeAboutBlank.html

You may well also need to repair Internet Explorer to make sure it's only using the official MS files and not a dll left over from About Blank. One of the problems is that MS removed the ability to repair IE so try these various methods to force a repair.

1. Click Start, Run and enter sfc /scannow (include the space after sfc). This will check for missing or corrupt files.

Then either:
2. Click Start, Search, All Files and Folders. Click on the Advanced Options and make sure you're checking hidden files and folders. Enter ie.inf as the filename. Once you've located the file, right-click on it and select Install.
Alternatively go to your Windows\inf directory and it should be listed there providing you've turned on the option to show hidden files and folders under Tools, Folder Options, View

Otherwise:
2. Try repairing Internet Explorer by clicking Start, Run and typing/pasting
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf
into the box, and select Go. Make sure you have your Windows XP CD ready.

When you've undertaken the repair, you can prevent these Browser Help Objects from becoming installed by opening Internet Explorer, going to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and deselecting the Enable third-party extensions option. I'd recommend that everyone does this as a matter of course.

Street cry
28th June 2006, 18:02
thanks for your help and time glos i am at work so can't implement this till later but it is much appreciated win lose or draw thankyou