PDA

View Full Version : Glos - No Sound Device

Win2Win
5th July 2006, 22:29
Just installed a new m/b on the backup computer I use.

Installed all the drivers, has onboard AC97. Drivers working, all CODECS in, yet go to the sound panel it says "NO SOUND DEVICE" and all options greyed out. The MS service is on.

Switched the sound off in the BIOS, uninstalled drivers, installed ALS4000 with it's driver, same problem!!

Now I've had this on someone else's problem in the past, but can't remember what the hell I done.

All VIA & Direct X is up-to-date (and BIOS), and latest audio drivers. The device is there, and working according to Windows System, but when you try to use it, it isn't!! No conflicts, and the ALS4000 does work on another m/b.

Not that important, I don't use the sound, but my kids wondering why his MP3's are quiet :laugh

John
11th July 2006, 00:34
You sorted this yet monkey?

Win2Win
11th July 2006, 08:25
Nah, he's gone home, so it's not urgent, but wouldn't mind sorting it. Been through everything I could find on the WWW.

Tried 3 sound cards now, including a Creative, after uninstalling the driver, editing the registry, etc, same result :( All other PCI's work fine!

GlosRFC
11th July 2006, 10:20
Didn't see this but not sure I can help much - sound always seems to be one of the trickiest things to sort out for me! Looks like you've done everything I would've suggested anyway. As it's onboard there's not much point trying to use a different PC slot. Did you remember to reactivate the sound card in your BIOS settings?

Try removing it from Device Manager then rebooting to see if XP recognises it as new hardware. When it does, uncheck the option that says "show compatible hardware" and then search the list for the most suitable driver.

If none of that works, doing an XP repair might just force Windows to recognise the existence of the card. When Windows asks if you want to Install or Repair, select the Install option. It will then search for previous installations, find your old XP and will again ask if you want to Repair Windows - select yes this time.

Win2Win
11th July 2006, 10:36
Bios is done & updated. I could always stand behind my lad and make the noises the computer is supposed to :doh

Last resort then, Repair!

Maybe I could just bung on Vista beta and then nothing would work :laugh