PDA

View Full Version : What's With Southwell???

Mattw07
17th December 2006, 02:12
is there something different about southwell compared to the other allweather tracks? has anybody else noticed a difference with the racingpost ratings and forecast odds when it comes to Southwell?

all weather system im running is fine with wolves, lingfield and kempton as you can see from below except southwell which is useless! i know theres been a lot less bets at southwell but even the other systems were a lot better after 28 bets

Track Bets Profit points
Wolves 78 +49
Lingfield 62 +35
Kempton 48 +25
Southwell 28 -27

Many Thanks 4 any info!
Matt

bigcumba
17th December 2006, 13:15
Isn't Southwell a different track surface to the others?

sparkyminer
17th December 2006, 13:55
Southwell is Fibresand, Wolverhampton and Lingfield are Polytrack, not sure about Kempton though.

borealis
17th December 2006, 13:57
The surface at Southwell is fibresand and is deeper and looser than the polytrack surfaces at the other AW tracks.

Godspot
17th December 2006, 14:38
There has been a three part series on Sectional Timing for the preceding three weeks up to this in the RP Weekender by Graham North. I'll quote you some highlights about Southwell:

"Is the only AW track still using Fibresand.
Form @ Southwell is largely irrelevant to form anywhere else.
Horses that have not run there before start at a greater disadvantage against those with Southwell experience.
The surface is different to what many horses are trained on.
The kick-back is severe & horses that race up with the pace tend to be favoured.
Has a reputation for being the most 'testing' of the AW tracks.
It is around three seconds slower over 6f than @ Lingfield & twice that over 12f.
The 5f crse is very fast & the standard for it is hugely out of line with the times over the longer distances on the round crse.
The conclusion has to be that the 5f track is some way shorter than the advertised distance.
The early tempo is relatively faster over longer distances @ Southwell than @ other AW crses - probably to ensure a position out of the kick-back.
This helps explain why it is necessary to back a stout stayer here & why runners get so strung out here as opposed to other AW crses, particularly in the winter when the surface is slower."

Some of that may explain why you've been getting some dodgy results. Either that or you've been getting some dodgy tips from the likes of me :laugh .

Graham North is back for a monthly update in the January 3rd issue. He also gives a list of 5 Horses2Note, would anyone mind do you think if I jotted them down (with likely distance preferences etc) & created a thread on the Horses2Follow department?

TheOldhamWhisper
17th December 2006, 15:01
...would anyone mind do you think if I jotted them down (with likely distance preferences etc) & created a thread on the Horses2Follow department?

As long as you post the appropriate credit to the relevant party (but No Links please), I think that would be OK.

TheOldhamWhisper
17th December 2006, 15:03
...all weather system im running is fine with wolves, lingfield and kempton as you can see from below except southwell which is useless! ...

Rule 1 for the 'revised' system - no bets at Southwell!

The beauty of keeping records is that you are able to spot these sort of things and (in this case) fine tune the system to eliminate poor results.

Mattw07
17th December 2006, 20:18
thanks for the responses everyone :)

think thats what im going to do oldham will keep checking southwell but gonna just watch what happens and not include the bets in the system.

Profit Seeker
19th December 2006, 15:24
Personally I do fine at Southwell. Of all the AW tracks, the one I find doesn't perform anywhere near as good for any of the profitable backing systems I've found is Lingfield, totally useless. Clueless why. Camber, tightness of bends? Don't know. And for laying Kempton also doesn't relate with the others using my main criteria, though I won't touch the place til it's been going 5yrs+. What the hell's Great Leighs going to throw up? :yikes:

Street cry
19th December 2006, 17:17
lingfield has a strip about a horse width in which becomes deeper under cool temp , the beads opf poly track coagulate building up an inch of deeper ground which is hard to negate on the inside rail ,

Street cry
19th December 2006, 17:18
and yes i am sad