PDA

View Full Version : Punjabi

Godspot
1st February 2007, 18:34
I know I've mentioned Punjabi in other threads but that concerns the Triumph Hurdle for which I am already on. I know I've probably lost that one, I mean Katchit will be hard to beat & J P McManus will have a choice of about ten to choose from but from where I'm sitting right now, with Saturday's entries in front of me - I reckon this Komaite(USA) gelding in the long term could turn out to be better than the same stables Afsoun who I think was 5th in last years race.

What has really convinced me of making Punjabi OTFollow is the fact that he is entered to run in the first @ Sandown on Saturday. I have no doubt that he probably won't run there but what I've just noticed is that Detroit City won the corresponding race last year & he had a pre-race RPR of 135. Well it took him 3 runs to achieve that mark, Punjabi is sitting 9lb clear top with an RPR of 140 from his one run on Monday.

There is a slight doubt about him getting the trip but his sire isn't averse to having the odd 'soft' ground winner - infact Punjabi recorded his highest TS on 'soft ground during his campaign on the flat. I think he'll turn out to be one of those that stays 2m in the 'soft on a flat track like Aintree or Kempton but may need it a little drier to be at his best on a stiff track like Cheltenham.

Win2Win
1st February 2007, 19:12
Bugger....thought this was about Jade's new curry house :(

bigcumba
1st February 2007, 19:35
Bugger....thought this was about Jade's new curry house :(

wouldn't that be Punchjabi?

Godspot
26th February 2007, 18:08
Sorry i didn't post this up on Saturday where he duly won @ 9/2, I was a bit short of time & basically had something better anyway. For some reason I thought this run was at Sandown & may have dispelled any doubts of staying a stiff 2m in 'soft' ground but it was Kempton & ran in a slow time & although the RP Analysis starts talking Triumph, I'm not so sure we gain anything - what with it being a small field - bar a little more race experience.

Godspot
1st March 2007, 03:02
I'm not so sure we gain anything - what with it being a small field - bar a little more race experience.

PUNJABI:

Insert quote & remember how to do it! :D

On second thoughts; he’s just won a race, that in the last 7 years has produced 3 winners of the Triumph Hurdle & one of the Arkle, in Well Chief(Ger) as well. But somehow, after running the slowest time of the meeting at Kempton, he becomes Dave Edwards’ (RP’s Topspeed) headline horse as, ‘worth bearing in mind for the Triumph.’ Something to do with the 17 seconds from the tapes going up, to when the race actually started; it is possible that this ‘lost’ 17 seconds could make a difference between a slow time & a much better one. So much better, in fact as to actually be top of his figures for juveniles.

He gets a fair write up by Ken Pitterson but is described as a leading contender & one of three horses from last week to ‘look out for,’ by the Exchange Views column & is one of 10 Cheltenham selections made by Mark Your Card. He quotes 12/s as tempting.

I know Vegy’s going to accuse me of hedging my bets but I have seen it before, in the Triumph though, that it is often the case, in this race that ‘the last in your Notebook, is first in the race!’ Well, I’ve just had to add another similar, rapidly improving horse to my list of contenders for the Triumph & I feel it is my DUTY(Ire), :D to relay this information. Last week at Fairyhouse, this fellow just clocked the highest juvenile TS figure so far this season, on only his second start. I can see Katchit & Lounaos being beat by at least one of the above two. I’m already on PUNJABI, so I’m going to have to have an EW saver on DUTY(Ire).

Win2Win
1st March 2007, 10:07
The horse is the right colour for it's name :doh

Godspot
16th March 2007, 01:09
Triumph – Late Extra

If I thought I was just going to get the tip I’m very tempted to phone the number of a one Mark Winstanley but it looks like the number is for a regular monthly service. On the inside cover of today’s Weekender he is advertising, “My biggest Festival plot in 20 years runs Friday – hails from a yard I deal directly with.” Well I’ve seen him tip up the odd Henderson horse & am wondering as to whether it is Punjabi he is talking about. It could be Sir Jimmy Shand in the next but bar the Triumph, Nicky Henderson has a pretty abysmal record with his hurdlers at the Festival. There isn’t a trainer of horses in all of Ireland & the UK who has a better record with 2 mile hurdlers & I’m sorry Keith but to suggest a Dutch (your C Additional Information) on this race & not include Punjabi & or Duty for that matter, should prove absolute folly.

I think Lounaos is over-rated, the AIG was run in a slow time & any handful of these would have run just as well. I’m wary of Mountain but in the last 10 years, all winners of this race had run twice or more beforehand. Your Dutch doesn’t even include Degas Art or Katchit & I’m quite confident that that suggested bet will show a loss by about 2.15 tomorrow.:ermmm

Anyway, I'm off to Betfair a minute to put my money where my mouth is!:)

Godspot
16th March 2007, 03:26
It could be Sir Jimmy Shand

After further analysis, I'm pretty confident that it can't be Sir Jimmy....

Godspot
4th April 2007, 14:05
I suppose I'll never know if Punjabi was his Fesival Plot but what I do know is that Mr Winstanley has nominated him as One To Follow from three selections for this seasons Flat. So even if he don't win at Aintree, there may still be a little race for him before the year is out.

Godspot
12th April 2007, 11:24
I suppose I'll never know if Punjabi was his Fesival Plot but what I do know is that Mr Winstanley has nominated him as One To Follow from three selections for this seasons Flat. So even if he don't win at Aintree, there may still be a little race for him before the year is out.

Wrong again, GS!

From reading his article this week, it's pretty obvious Punjabi was his Cheltenham bet, he's also tipping him up for today.