PDA

View Full Version : SnG variations

mathare
28th May 2007, 13:04
Is it me or are the poker sites making up variations on the standard SnG theme to appeal only to mentalists?

I just came across a "both ends" SnG on Ladbrokes. 1st player out and the winner both get 50% of the prize pool. Crazy.

And then you've got the all-in or fold tourneys, the 16-man all-in heads up tourneys and what have you. All complete crapshoots and luckfests - why do people even bother with these?

presto
28th May 2007, 13:25
how the hell would a 'both ends' tourney work - as everyone 'should' go all in first hand (no matter what), if they win - then there in a commanding chip position. if they lose there out - but what happens to 50% of the winnings if 4 players are out in the first hand :doh

the operators come up with these ideas basically to increase profits. compare a $10+1 'all in or fold' to a $10+1 'deep stacked' STT - one takes 5 minuites to finish whilst the other takes over an hour - yet the operator makes the same profit on both. whilst giving the thrill junky ten times the ammount of opportunities to lose his cash.

i am not one for these tournies but prefere speed games when playing heads up.

mathare
28th May 2007, 13:33
how the hell would a 'both ends' tourney work - as everyone 'should' go all in first hand (no matter what), if they win - then there in a commanding chip position. if they lose there out - but what happens to 50% of the winnings if 4 players are out in the first hand :doh Fairly standard dead-heat rules apply. If multiple players are knocked out on one hand then the player with the greater number of chips gets the higher position. If chip stacks are level it goes on position with lowest place going to the button or player nearest it

the operators come up with these ideas basically to increase profits. compare a $10+1 'all in or fold' to a $10+1 'deep stacked' STT - one takes 5 minuites to finish whilst the other takes over an hour - yet the operator makes the same profit on both. whilst giving the thrill junky ten times the ammount of opportunities to lose his cash.Absolutely. I'm just amazed that people play these crapshoots, and not for low buy-ins sometimes either. I just don't see the point. If you have the money to splash around in $50 crapshoots then why not learn to play poker and play properly and make decent cash?