PDA

View Full Version : Phone Votes - Betting Scams

jackster109
15th December 2007, 23:42
Rydian to Win X-Factor Tonight: 2/7
Lewis Hamilton to win Sport Personality: 1/3

Both lost in which the decision was decided by a phone vote. With the modern technology these days, does anybody think that people are putting major money on the outsider and using computers to constantly dial the vote number.

An outsider (25/1) won the phone vote the to represent the UK in the Eurovision Song contest. The outsider always stays in Strictly Come Dancing by phone vote.

This seems to be happening for to often for me................

However, my sneaky suspiscions lead to bet on Leon to Win tonight at 4/1.

paul183195
16th December 2007, 00:02
do you remember when it was between will young & gareth gates ( i think that was on pop idol) but my point is if its obvious who is the best , who do you vote for .............THE UNDERDOG :splapme

bigcumba
16th December 2007, 00:02
same thing happened with this years Big Brother.... the twins were hot faves to win and didn't... the way the odds were jumping around tonight meant superb trading opportunities for those that way inclined

Mavrick
16th December 2007, 00:07
How much money gets bet on rubbish like that on betfair? I wouldn't have thought it was much. The bookies probaby will only let you have £50 on a speciality bet like that.

presto
16th December 2007, 01:40
i never watch this sort of thing - so don't bet.
(i occasionally bet on big brother - the 30 mins when the contestants walk into the asylum) - due to the quick trading opportunities on overreactions.

i wouldn't say that there is anything 'wrong' going on betting wise, as these programmes arn't made for betting - they are made for 'entertainment', so it's in the hands of the general public who decide the winners, not who is best.

the producers also have a big part in the publics oppinion, if there looks a runaway leeder then they can make that individual look bad - or an opposition look better, not to affect the betting but to make it look more competetive, thus better viewing.

i suppose you could compare it to a football commentator saying that an early goal could bring 'team A' back into the game, when 'team B' are 3-0 up at half time. We may all think that 'team A' are dead and buried - but the comments may affect a small minorities oppinion (thus betting odds). however in betting - punters arn't as stupid (please excuse the word stupid if offended) as the masses of the general public whoes oppinion decides the winners in reality TV.

as for the sports personality, i think Calzaghe wasn't that much of a shock.
i personally thaught hammilton should have got it, but:

hammilton:
- messed up late on.
- annoyed the public by saying he wanted to leave the country.
- acomplishments were out of peoples memory, as the F1 season finished well before the BBC award.

calzaghe:
- has an army of fans
- been around for donkeys, at the top of his game,
- did a great accomplishment nearer the time of the event
- and IMO very importantly - the public was in the middle of 'boxingg hype' with the hatton fight, though hatton didn't win he probably got the masses of boxing fans vote.

Win2Win
16th December 2007, 10:19
It's all a fix, everything is fixed, we have no free will, we are already destined to do what we do :ooo

Onlyforfun
16th December 2007, 10:47
Why the hell anyone pays to give their opinion is beyond me. I should be paid for mine! :D

mathare
16th December 2007, 11:53
Dermot O'Leary said last night that the only way any of those acts could win The X Factor was if I voted for them. I didn't vote and Leon still won which proves it's a fix.

TheOldhamWhisper
16th December 2007, 12:15
Dermot O'Leary said last night that the only way any of those acts could win The X Factor was if I voted for them. I didn't vote and Leon still won which proves it's a fix.

And I challenge anybody to try and find 20 people who voted Margaret Thatcher into power...

:thumbs

scoobydoo
16th December 2007, 12:35
Dont you think the standard is getting worse...that Leon couldnt even sing that well...I dont like the programme and only caught a bit but I thought he was not too good to say he won it...

I thought the 'weird' chap had it sown up...but he probably wasnt 'hip' enough with the youngsters...or Cowell might have fixed it as he thought he could make more money with the young lad from Scotland.

Id rather they take it off air and have repeats of 321 or something. :ermmm Id vote for Dusty Bin! :)

Win2Win
16th December 2007, 12:58
And I challenge anybody to try and find 20 people who voted Margaret Thatcher into power...

Here's 3 to start with....

http://is-pimp.com/images/retards.jpg

sparkyminer
16th December 2007, 13:58

I was only 16 in 1979.:yikes: