PDA

View Full Version : Ada's Xmas £15 Prize Puzzles

TheGoodGuy
23rd December 2007, 02:01
If you're at a loss at what to do between now & Boxing Day, as there's no racing, then why not have a stab at these puzzles & try & land yourself a £15 Amazon voucher, if you can come up with the answers to these 3 'tough' (well, I think they're tough) puzzles.

PLEASE NOTE
Closing date for entries is Midnight Friday 28th December.
All correct entries received by then will be put in a 'hat' & the randomly selected winner will receive the £15 Amazon voucher.

Please DO NOT post your answers on this thread..........

If you have the PM (Private Message) facility then use this to send me your answers.
Otherwise, then Email me your answers at the following address:

adabt1105-xmaspuzzles
at
yahoo
dot
co
dot
uk

The Questions:

Passing through the little Wild West town of Hoylesburg, professional gambler Ace Sharp found a game of poker going on in the Lone Star Saloon and joined in, just to pass the time and maybe pick up a little profit; when he finally rose from the table, he had lost $60 to the other four players and learned a few things he hadn’t known before about the game of poker.
From the clues given below, can you work out the full name and occupation of each of the other players, and say how much each took from the unfortunate Ace?

Clues
1. It was Hiram Akins who invited the unwary Ace to join the game.
2. The civilian scout from the 7th Cavalry detachment at Fort Sherman, who wasn’t surnamed Olsen, won $12 from Ace Sharp.
3. Duke acquired $14 of the professional gambler’s cash.
4. Having been christened Clarence, the deputy sheriff preferred to be known by his nickname of Laredo.
5. McQueen, who won more of Sharp’s money than anybody else, wasn’t the Saloon-keeper who ran the Lone Star.
6. The Saloon-keeper who wasn’t Vince, won two dollars more from Ace than the Rancher.

First Names
Duke
Hiram
Laredo
Vince

Surnames
Akins
Hart
McQueen
Olsen

Occupations
Army scout
Deputy sheriff
Rancher
Saloon-keeper

Amounts won from Ace Sharp
$12
$14
$16
$18

DONALD
GERALD +
---------
ROBERT

If... DONALD + GERALD = ROBERT

.... each letter can be replaced by the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 0........

......so given that D=5, what is the numerical answer to this sum?

Five Win2Win forumites- Bigcumba, Iron Chris, Mathare, Scaaty and Vegyjones - appeared for an exam.
There were a total of five questions - two multiple choice (A, B or C) and three True/False questions.

They answered as follows:

<table border=1><tr><td align=center>NAME</td><td align=center>Q1</td><td align=center>Q2</td><td align=center>Q3</td><td align=center>Q4</td><td align=center>Q5</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Bigcumba</td><td align=center>C</td><td align=center>B</td><td align=center>TRUE</td><td align=center>TRUE</td><td align=center>FALSE</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Iron Chris</td><td align=center>C</td><td align=center>C</td><td align=center>TRUE</td><td align=center>TRUE</td><td align=center>TRUE</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Mathare</td><td align=center>A</td><td align=center>C</td><td align=center>FALSE</td><td align=center>TRUE</td><td align=center>TRUE</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Scaaty</td><td align=center>B</td><td align=center>A</td><td align=center>TRUE</td><td align=center>TRUE</td><td align=center>FALSE</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Vegyjones</td><td align=center>B</td><td align=center>B</td><td align=center>TRUE</td><td align=center>FALSE</td><td align=center>TRUE</td></tr></table>

NOTE
None of them got the same number of correct answers.

Can you:
a)Work out the correct answers to the five questions?
b)What is each person’s individual score out of five?

Good Luck

Ada. :thumbs

scaaty
23rd December 2007, 12:17
Got family arriving any minute and staying till New year so doubt if I'll have much spare time, but I'll certainly have a go if I can - brain cells could do with a bit of exercise! :D

vegyjones
23rd December 2007, 14:18
I've done 1 and 2, but 3 has me stumped at the mo'!

Iron Chris
24th December 2007, 12:13
Thanks for running the quiz Ada...:thumbs

I have submitted my entry but am using the flu as an excuse if I have got any wrong...:geek

TheGoodGuy
29th December 2007, 01:14
OK........time's up.

After sifting through all the entries submitted........(both of them) :yikes:......

....correct answers to all 3 questions were submitted by.....you've guessed it.......both entrants.

So....

GlosRFC & Iron Chris.........well done.

No Random Number Generator needed to pick the winner.....a coin will do!!!

So the winner of the £15 Amazon Voucher is........

GlosRFC

Glos....could you PM me an Email address that I can send the voucher to please.

Unlucky Chris, but thanks for playing.

Ada. :thumbs

GlosRFC
29th December 2007, 02:31
Ooooh...will do!

Three very tricky questions too...almost gave up on the third one after trying to allocate points ranging from 1-5 and then realising that the scores could've been 0-4 instead.

Iron Chris
29th December 2007, 19:45
Well done Glos, you deserve something for your contributions to the forum...:thumbs...pity about the lack of entries Ada, but thanks for putting the quiz up...:)

After a week of the flu I went to the doctors instead of back to work and am now on antibiotics, just starting to feel a bit better today...:ermmm

scaaty
5th January 2008, 13:44
Well done Glos, and sorry I didn't take part Ada. I really did mean to but once everyone had arrived and festivities got underway, I'm afraid I forgot all about it - though probably wouldn't have managed enough thinking time even if I'd remembered. Thanks for running it anyway, and I'll look forward to the next one ! :)